British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   helmet for id (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70255)

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 07:04 AM

helmet for id

1 Attachment(s)
any ideas anyone, british/French

thanka andrew

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 07:12 AM

its french

found it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19...p2047675.l2557

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like a grenade on front?
I think French.

One that I have, a French fireman's helmet, not quite the same..........
I was thinking of the helmet in post no. 1 as a fireman's otherwise Id've gone firmer on it's being French.

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 457064)
Looks like a grenade on front?
I think French.

One that I have, not quite the same..........

Nice , thanks leigh

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 07:24 AM

Does anyone have for sale , to fit to this helmet the following
Black plume
chin scales
side plume and holder.

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 07:56 AM

I missed out on a set of chinscales a couple of months ago, didn't bid enough.
It's probably a case of buying what "looks right" rather than is definitely a fitting of the correct nationality, let alone service or unit.
They're the sort of things that are repro'd for Napoleonic re-enactment.
I apply double standards to my helmets eg WWII German I don't touch, if they're missing chinstrap's or whatever then the bits stay missing. I do however put repro chinstrap's and cockades on WWI pikelhaube.
Repro plume fittings are sold by at least one French eBay dealer.

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 08:02 AM

PM sent.

monfort1 16-10-18 08:54 AM

Hi

it is a damaged M1874 Line dragoon or Cuirassier helmet

Too much damage and repair

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 11:35 AM

I see there's a set of 1872 pattern cavalry chinscales for sale at £247 with £10.50 postage - would these be appropriate for the helmet?

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 02:53 PM

Yes, but only wanted to pay a tenner. I think the helmet I have has been used to restore another helmet.

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 03:16 PM

I found another pair of chinscales at around £370........
I know what you mean about only wanting to pay a tenner - nowadays bits stripped off helmets can cost a bomb, by the time you've bought one or two spare parts you might as well've bought a decent complete helmet instead of an incomplete rust bucket one.
It's particularly noticeable with Model 1915 pikelhaube, perfectly good, complete helmets are being stripped down, including liners being cut out and front and rear peaks unstitched and taken off because the helmet can bring in more money as parts than complete.
Don't get me started on WWI medal groups that are being stripped down, the discs, ribbons and brooch bar all being sold off individually on evil bay.
I haven't worked out the logic in that one - like I'm going to buy two or three medals and risk not getting the last one in the group, perhaps because of schill bidding.

norfolk regt man 16-10-18 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 457108)
I found another pair of chinscales at around £370........
I know what you mean about only wanting to pay a tenner - nowadays bits stripped off helmets can cost a bomb, by the time you've bought one or two spare parts you might as well've bought a decent complete helmet instead of an incomplete rust bucket one.
It's particularly noticeable with Model 1915 pikelhaube, perfectly good, complete helmets are being stripped down, including liners being cut out and front and rear peaks unstitched and taken off because the helmet can bring in more money as parts than complete.
Don't get me started on WWI medal groups that are being stripped down, the discs, ribbons and brooch bar all being sold off individually on evil bay.
I haven't worked out the logic in that one - like I'm going to buy two or three medals and risk not getting the last one in the group, perhaps because of schill bidding.

Hi Leigh, funny you mention pikehaubes, these came with the French helmet

leigh kitchen 17-10-18 04:51 AM

Nice, you're not going to rub 'em down and repaint them are you (yours to do what you will with, but I hope not, it'd ruin them).

norfolk regt man 17-10-18 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 457167)
Nice, you're not going to rub 'em down and repaint them are you (yours to do what you will with, but I hope not, it'd ruin them).

Hi Leigh, yes I was going to with the steel one, as it must have had some sort of coating when in use

But I also like the "barn find look " so will now only replace any missing bits, but leave it like it is.

ATB andrew

leigh kitchen 17-10-18 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The steel one would've had a gloss black finish, they were later ordered to be overpainted field grey (I can't remember the date, I have it in a WWI manual of enemy uniforms somewhere).
A black painted one overpainted field grey, including its fittings and helmet plate.
The spike is the correct type for this particular variation of the metal pikelhaube, fitting to the helmet by a flange rather than by studs.
It's a genuine "spare" part that was painted black by the previous owner for some reason, I've just placed it on top of the helmet, it's not fitted to it.