British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4184)

sean michael cronin 16-11-08 01:52 PM

Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry

5 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd do a thread on this much copied badge. First two photos other ranks broached, second two sergeants arm badge (notice braze hole). Finally a 100% Guaranteed original from that well known site for comparison.Cheers Sean.

Alan O 16-11-08 02:36 PM

Sean,

It took me quite a while to find one like your broached example. Unlike the fakes, mine is 'domed' in the centre, there is a small gap between the ends of the wreath and the crown and the corn stalks are more cut out at the top. The other badge is a fantastic example.

Alan

sean michael cronin 16-11-08 03:16 PM

Hi Alan, I have another two examples of this badge which are also domed, apart from the too thin lettering on the fake the leaves have no relief to them (flat). Cheers Sean.

Viletone 16-11-08 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Owen (Post 26621)
Sean,

It took me quite a while to find one like your broached example. Unlike the fakes, mine is 'domed' in the centre, there is a small gap between the ends of the wreath and the crown and the corn stalks are more cut out at the top. The other badge is a fantastic example.

Alan

I agree, unfortunately there are fake examples with the gap between the wreath and but unless you have it in your hand to see the 'domed' stalks it's very hard to tell from a photo.

cbuehler 18-11-08 04:58 PM

Thanks for some clarification on this folks. Are we then to regard that "100% original" example as a definite bad one or possible variant?

CB

wardog 08-12-08 02:47 PM

I have seen another post in the last year showing good and bad examples of this badge, and felt sure it was on this forum. I am though unable to find it. Can anyone give me a link? Cheers, Paul.

wardog 08-12-08 10:04 PM

Found it on MCN but the pictures have been removed.

mtrpltpara 10-12-08 08:54 PM

Any chance of a photo looking across the badge to show the `domed` effect?

Bill.

mtrpltpara 14-12-08 03:46 PM

Sean, a big dealer was selling the NCO`s badge for nearly £400!!

Bill.

sean michael cronin 14-12-08 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill, got this one from Ebay for fifty quid about a year ago, have seen them sold at Bosleys for £350, missed out on an Ebay one a year previous. Side shot included. Cheers Sean.

mtrpltpara 22-12-08 11:03 PM

Sean, many thanks for that photo, i shall now open up my collection and compare my own badge, i hope it tallies!!
Bill.

wardog 22-12-08 11:18 PM

My girlfriend has a 14-15 star trio, a cap badge and I think a collar badge that was passed down to her. These items are attached to a card, and I know the cap badge only has a stub of it's slider left. I will probably be able to get some snaps of it some time over Christmas/New Year. Cheers, Paul.

wardog 03-01-09 01:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some pics. Cheers, Paul.

wardog 03-01-09 01:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Collar Badge/Medals.

Dave 03-01-09 01:20 AM

Hi, Was this badge used during WW2? Most sources say no but I've found one internet source that suggested perhaps? I always assumed that during this period they wore Royal Artillery badges?