British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wounded Stripes - Issue Criteria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66587)

manchesters 13-02-18 07:45 PM

Wounded Stripes - Issue Criteria

Hello,

Does anyone have a list of what constituted a "wound" for the issue of a WW1 wounded stripe.

My question was prompted by a friend whose Grandfather was gassed in WW1 and he asked if he would have been entitled?

regards

gb64 13-02-18 08:17 PM

Hello Simon
As far as I’m aware the wounded stripe was issued for having been gassed, my Grandfather is wearing his one in a photo I have of him in WW1,he was gassed and didn’t as far as I’m aware sustain any other wound that would of qualified him to wear one, I don’t have any information on the stripe so just going on what I see and know about him.

Gerard

54Bty 13-02-18 08:39 PM

This may help.

http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1-wound-stripes

Marc

grumpy 13-02-18 09:59 PM

Wound BADGE for every OCCASION officially recorded as wounded.
Included gas and also wounding by enemy wire ........ But not friendly!

GTB 14-02-18 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 435734)
Wound BADGE for every OCCASION officially recorded as wounded.
Included gas and also wounding by enemy wire ........ But not friendly!

To my way of seeing it, wounded by either enemy or friendly fire has no distinction. The casualty was wounded on active service. Full stop.

GTB

High Wood 14-02-18 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 435760)
To my way of seeing it, wounded by either enemy or friendly fire has no distinction. The casualty was wounded on active service. Full stop.

GTB

Where would a self inflicted wound in a front line trench just before zero hour come into the scheme of things?

With wound stripes, as with Silver War Badges, there are distinct categories that apply.

Simon.

manchesters 14-02-18 10:48 AM

Thankyou everyone for the very informative information and to Marc for the website link.

regards

GTB 14-02-18 11:44 AM

Self-inflicted wounds don't apply. On the contrary, I believe these are punishable.

But picture a scenario where an enemy trench is taken and among the confusion is subjected to artillery bombardment by both sides, in the course of which our Tommy is wounded. Whether by friendly or enemy fire, the overlying category should be 'wounded in action'.

GTB

grumpy 14-02-18 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 435760)

GTB

WIRE repeat WIRE not fire.

As for wounds by friendly fire, in the main [except by artillery with only friendly fire occurring] they would be indistinguishable, and indeed no attempt was made. However, I do have well documented cases where a man was wounded on his own [friendly] wire and was investigated for a SIW rather than given a wound badge. Life's a bitch, as they say.

KLR 14-02-18 07:14 PM

This thread has prompted me to ask what is the difference between a 'wound stripe' and the metal SWB ?lapel badge ??? My grandfather was badly wounded in the German offensive in March 1918. Amongst his papers I found a 'certificate' to the effect that he was awarded(?) a SWB number x y z but we don't think it has survived amongst his effects.

Alan O 14-02-18 07:36 PM

The wound stripe was worn on uniform whilst serving.

The SWB was issued when the wound/injury led to discharge from service.

manchesters 14-02-18 07:37 PM

A SWB was only issued to servicemen who were discharged from the services, for a variety of reasons, wounds/illness/age etc etc.

It was worn on the lapel of civvies to show they werent shirkers.

Wounded Stripes were worn on uniform.

regards

GTB 15-02-18 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=grumpy;435792]WIRE repeat WIRE not fire.

Beg pardon. Lapsus on my part

GTB

KLR 15-02-18 10:36 AM

Thank you gents, now clarified.
Grfather's case was a bit anomalous since, as a results of his wounds, he was a PoW until December 1918 so that although he was hors de combat, he was still a serving soldier ! I don't think he was officially ?discharged until ?Spring 1919 ('ll look up the details at home).

wardog 15-02-18 03:18 PM

I wonder how severe an injury from enemy wire would need to be to get recorded- requiring stitches perhaps? Regards, Paul.