British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SA WW1 SA RE Signal Service (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84688)

Brian Conyngham 03-05-21 10:35 AM

SA WW1 SA RE Signal Service

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Ticked another box for my small WW1 collection, the cap badge of the SA Signal Service Royal Engineers. I have had the shoulder title for some time but the cap badge has eluded me.

Both made by Gaunt London.

Brian

Alex Rice 03-05-21 10:43 AM

Nice badges, well done!

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 03:27 PM

Very nice, Brian and getting much harder to get hold of these days, shall you be having the other variations of the cap badges too?
Their medals are quite scarce as well, just humble BWM/AVM South African UDF issue pairs or trios if the recipient had prior service in GWSA with another formation, but the former always nicely named to the signal service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 547849)
Hi Guys

Ticked another box for my small WW1 collection, the cap badge of the SA Signal Service Royal Engineers. I have had the shoulder title for some time but the cap badge has eluded me.

Both made by Gaunt London.

Brian

Brian Conyngham 03-05-21 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547895)
Very nice, Brian and getting much harder to get hold of these days, shall you be having the other variations of the cap badges too?
Their medals are quite scarce as well, just humble BWM/AVM South African UDF issue pairs or trios if the recipient had prior service in GWSA with another formation, but the former always nicely named to the signal service.

Hi Frank

Here is a rather pleasant MM group to the SA Signals RE unit in my collection.

Brian

Brian Conyngham 03-05-21 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547895)

Hi Frank

Always keeping my eyes open for WW1 badges, yes definitely if other variations pop up I would be interested.

Brian

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 03:59 PM

It is so often missed, the top scroll will sometimes be South African rather than South Africa, but worth looking out for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 547911)
Hi Frank

Always keeping my eyes open for WW1 badges, yes definitely if other variations pop up I would be interested.

Brian

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 04:01 PM

That is indeed very pleasant!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 547903)
Hi Frank

Here is a rather pleasant MM group to the SA Signals RE unit in my collection.

Brian

Brian Conyngham 03-05-21 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547918)
It is so often missed, the top scroll will sometimes be South African rather than South Africa, but worth looking out for.

Thanks Frank

Will keep that variation in mind...

shahldm 03-05-21 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547918)

Hi Frank

I had not noticed that before so went and had a check and spot on variations with South Africa and South African.

Thank you for sharing your insight.

Rgds

shahldm 03-05-21 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian, attached image shows a variant of the shoulder title (perhaps officers) and the badge with "South African".

Brian Conyngham 04-05-21 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 547991)
Brian, attached image shows a variant of the shoulder title (perhaps officers) and the badge with "South African".

Thanks for the pic showing the variation, interesting did the shoulder title come blackened like that?

Brian

Frank Kelley 05-05-21 08:53 AM

Yes, you encounter both with the ranker's cap badges in both sizes too, so four different badges there, the OSD's are to be had with both Africa and African too, but, I don't think that I've encountered both in HM silver, only one and I can't remember which without checking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 547990)
Hi Frank

I had not noticed that before so went and had a check and spot on variations with South Africa and South African.

Thank you for sharing your insight.

Rgds

shahldm 05-05-21 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 548052)
Thanks for the pic showing the variation, interesting did the shoulder title come blackened like that?

Brian

Brian it is actually a dark enamel ... the picture doesn't really do it justice. To the reverse makers name Gaunt.

Frank Kelley 06-05-21 07:44 AM

I would certainly think that has actually been subsequently added at some point, rather than being deliberately manufactured, if it had been you would expect to encounter them in a significant number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 548318)
Brian it is actually a dark enamel ... the picture doesn't really do it justice. To the reverse makers name Gaunt.

Brian Conyngham 07-05-21 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 548318)

Yes, both mine are by Gaunt, suspect they were all made by them? Interesting point that this one has been enameled, have to definitely concur with Frank that it was privately done. Yes never seen another, a late friend of mine had an album of pictures of WW1 SA guys taken in uniform...believe me there are a lot of uniform variations and combinations of insignia worn during that period.

Brian