British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Light Dragoons beret badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73956)

slick_mick 29-05-19 09:36 PM

Light Dragoons beret badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I picked this up on a whim recently from Dead Spartan.

He had it described as a post 1994 Light Dragoons beret badge.

Just wondering if anyone has any more info about it? Its a couple of millimetres larger than the current officer's bullion hat badge and much larger than their collar badges.

Regards,

Mick

Alan O 30-05-19 06:02 AM

Well all the LD officers and soldiers I ever met wore the full cross badge on their berets. Creative labelling?

slick_mick 30-05-19 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 479733)
Well all the LD officers and soldiers I ever met wore the full cross badge on their berets. Creative labelling?

I'm thinking maybe a prototype badge?

It is quite unusual.

Mick

MarkGD 30-05-19 06:20 AM

Hi Mick, i like it, well made etc, so food for thought, 13/18th amalgmated with the Light Dragoons 1992, red backing from the LD's, scroll from the 13/18th, possibly a Colonel showing his lineage, as they like to do! Regards Mark

slick_mick 30-05-19 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 479735)
Hi Mick, i like it, well made etc, so food for thought, 13/18th amalgmated with the Light Dragoons 1992, red backing from the LD's, scroll from the 13/18th, possibly a Colonel showing his lineage, as they like to do! Regards Mark

My thinking its a really early one (maybe at the time of amalgamation) or a prototype.

Either way, I've never seen one before.

Mick

Robthereiver 30-05-19 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 479719)
Hi Guys,

I picked this up on a whim recently from Dead Spartan.

He had it described as a post 1994 Light Dragoons beret badge.

Just wondering if anyone has any more info about it? Its a couple of millimetres larger than the current officer's bullion hat badge and much larger than their collar badges.

Regards,

Mick

Hello Mick

Would you kindly post the Dimensions of this Badge please.

Thank You
Rob

slick_mick 30-05-19 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 479755)
Hello Mick

Would you kindly post the Dimensions of this Badge please.

Thank You
Rob

Height is 55mm

Width at bottom is 40mm

Mick

49lassiepen 30-05-19 12:25 PM

Article from Crown Imperial by Ray Spowage on insignia of Light Dragoons -
Officers trail pattern constructed of gold and sliver bullion on a red cloth background The' Z' of the13/18th hussars in yellow worsted with a gold outline The Royal Crest of the 15/19 hussars placed in front Photo shown[no 9]-not sure if it is o.k to reproduce this photo here -same as your item
Avery good ref for all L .D insignia
David

slick_mick 30-05-19 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 479775)
Article from Crown Imperial by Ray Spowage on insignia of Light Dragoons -
Officers trail pattern constructed of gold and sliver bullion on a red cloth background The' Z' of the13/18th hussars in yellow worsted with a gold outline The Royal Crest of the 15/19 hussars placed in front Photo shown[no 9]-not sure if it is o.k to reproduce this photo here -same as your item
Avery good ref for all L .D insignia
David

Thanks David. That would make sense if its a trial pattern badge.

I guess that would make it quite a rare badge in that case.

Mick

49lassiepen 30-05-19 08:47 PM

''This badge was rejected by the regiment in favour of the one in the shape of the Maltese cross '' - from Ray Spowage article
Mick one I was on the look out for
David