British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Opinions Please on Cast KC Parachute Regiment Beret Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70475)

Harry Katyn 30-10-18 08:05 PM

Opinions Please on Cast KC Parachute Regiment Beret Badges

7 Attachment(s)
I know cast badges, particularly Para Regt items, have previously proven to be a contentious issue on the forum but I would appreciate members input on these two examples.
Having never handled an example with provenance I have always been dubious of the brooch pin example primarily, but not solely, because of the pin fitting itself. That said there is meant to be some connection to a Major ‘Woody’ Rowtree (or Rowntree) 156 Para Bn. (Not researched. I am still trying to find my notes on the badge/ownership history as related to me by the seller although he was not specific if the ownership was wartime or post war.)
Also the brooch pin construction appears similar to some other wartime badges (not Para) I have looked at – but then again I am not sure if such construction has advanced or changed much since the war.
Thanks in anticipation.

JerryBB 30-10-18 09:02 PM

It has been cast using the extended wingtip blobby fake as the former from which it has been made.

Frank Kelley 31-10-18 07:26 AM

Agreed, I think the brooch is completely spurious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 458400)
It has been cast using the extended wingtip blobby fake as the former from which it has been made.

Harry Katyn 31-10-18 08:33 PM

Thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the lugged example?

arrestingu 31-10-18 09:04 PM

Wing tips extend to much on both .

Frank Kelley 01-11-18 09:11 AM

Get your money back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Katyn (Post 458533)
Thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the lugged example?

arrestingu 01-11-18 10:36 AM

Lol !!!!! .....that's a top idea !!

Harry Katyn 02-11-18 07:52 PM

Thanks again. Another two for the should have known better box!

Luc 09-11-18 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 458400)

The extended wingtip is the only detail it has in common with the fake you are referring to. The shroudlines and the feathers on either side of the parachute are completely different though. I kinda like it.

JerryBB 09-11-18 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 459448)
The extended wingtip is the only detail it has in common with the fake you are referring to. The shroudlines and the feathers on either side of the parachute are completely different though. I kinda like it.

It also has the blob on the left wing mate!

fougasse1940 10-11-18 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 459460)
It also has the blob on the left wing mate!

Not the second one shown.

Rgds, Thomas

Harry Katyn 13-11-18 09:05 PM

Thanks for the further opinions - I'll not throw the lugged example away just yet in case.