British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Queen's Royal Hussars Officers in No.2 Dress - 2007 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76739)

slick_mick 08-01-20 11:28 PM

Queen's Royal Hussars Officers in No.2 Dress - 2007

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another great reference picture.

Queen's Royal Hussars Officers in No.2 Dress - 2007.

Enjoy!

Mick

Sonofacqms 09-01-20 09:25 AM

Thanks

A great photo, thanks for sharing.

Rob

Alan O 09-01-20 09:44 AM

Typical cavalry officers - ties don't match and the medals are mounted differently!

the soldiers have swinging medals as well so perhaps the Sqn Ldr (his title not rank in case you are confused) has decided to have them court mounted as a personal affectation.

Mike H 09-01-20 03:32 PM

What's the medal with the star on ?

mike_vee 09-01-20 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 496829)
What's the medal with the star on ?

UNITAS medal

"The Unitas Medal is a medallion struck in bronze, 38 millimetres in diameter and 3 millimetres thick at the rim, displaying a seven-pointed star, charged with an embossed Greek lower case letter alpha within a circle. The star represents the seven constituent forces which formed the South African National Defence Force."

cbuehler 10-01-20 12:40 AM

Great photo. As an American, I have always found those tent caps most Un-British looking. Almost Polish actually.

CB

Toby Purcell 10-01-20 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 496863)
Great photo. As an American, I have always found those tent caps most Un-British looking. Almost Polish actually.

CB

That’s because it’s not a British cap. The precise details of its origins are lost in history, but it’s known to have been a type of cap known as a Bonnet De Police that was popular undress headwear in Napoleon’s armies and worn for long afterward by the French and Belgian Armies. Denmark became allied with Napoleon’s France after the British attacked Copenhagen in 1801 and its army began to wear French influenced uniforms, including the Bonnet De Police. Much later a regiment of Irish Hussars in the British Army became associated with a member of the Danish Royal family through Queen Victoria and the Hussars adopted the Danish cap as a courtesy to their Royal sponsor.

cbuehler 11-01-20 02:43 AM

Well that would explain it! I had never known the connection and always wondered how such a cap came into British use.

CB

slick_mick 11-01-20 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's one of my favorite caps in my collection!

Here's mine that came from a serving member.

Mick

Lancer 17 12-01-20 05:42 AM

Hi Mick

Happy new year mate.

Thanks for posting a great series of photos.

Regards Phil.