British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   RASC despatch group title or US Airborne? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75511)

loupie1961 10-10-19 09:51 AM

RASC despatch group title or US Airborne?

3 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased on the bay, a pair of arc titles sold as RASC Despatch Groups "Airborne" signs: on a closer examination, the cloth seems to be rather black than dark blue, so I guess this is a pair od British made "Airborne" titles for the 101st US Airborne Division. Could I have your opinion, gents? Thank you in advance for your help!

Hoot 10-10-19 11:05 AM

Worn by RASC Parachute units in place of the RASC titles in WW2.

Postwarden 10-10-19 12:34 PM

Hoot,

Interesting comment. Do you have evidence of this being worn by RASC units?

Jon

Hoot 10-10-19 03:21 PM

Jon, they are described and illustrated as such in "Badges of The Empire's Waggoners" and I have seen images of them being worn in WW2.

Postwarden 10-10-19 03:37 PM

Thank you.

Jon

loupie1961 11-10-19 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 489549)
Worn by RASC Parachute units in place of the RASC titles in WW2.

Hello Hoot, thank you for your reply. Do you mean that the Airborne Arc titles actually replaced the RASC arc titles above the Despatch Groups Dakota sign? As a matter of fact I have got in my collection a BD blouse sporting on both arms the Despatch Groups sign, and there is ample evidence that the arc titles have been removed. I have always supposed they would have been the Airborne ones, seems the ghost outline of the removed arcs seem to be longer than the outline of the usual RASC titles.

sapper533 11-10-19 03:51 PM

This would seem the logical explanation, that these are indeed RASC and I have them marked as that in my own collection but in all collecting life I have never seen any evidence proving it, you might have thought with all the interest in Airborne stuff there might be at least s photo out there.

loupie1961 12-10-19 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 489565)
Jon, they are described and illustrated as such in "Badges of The Empire's Waggoners" and I have seen images of them being worn in WW2.

Hoot, I was wondering whether you could produce some pics or a scan from the book, it would be extremely instructive I think!

mike_vee 12-10-19 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 489669)
Hoot, I was wondering whether you could produce some pics or a scan from the book, it would be extremely instructive I think!

Found an old thread with a couple of pages from book.

AIRBORNE title

loupie1961 12-10-19 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 489670)
Found an old thread with a couple of pages from book.

AIRBORNE title

Thank you Mike: and I even took part in the discussion! Whereas everybody maintains that the titles should be blue, I'd rather say that the pair I have purchased are rather black, in colour....

Hoot 12-10-19 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 489618)
Hello Hoot, thank you for your reply. Do you mean that the Airborne Arc titles actually replaced the RASC arc titles above the Despatch Groups Dakota sign? As a matter of fact I have got in my collection a BD blouse sporting on both arms the Despatch Groups sign, and there is ample evidence that the arc titles have been removed. I have always supposed they would have been the Airborne ones, seems the ghost outline of the removed arcs seem to be longer than the outline of the usual RASC titles.

I always thought it was only the RASC parachute units that wore the "AIRBORNE" titles, the air despatchers wearing the standard "ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS" curved titles.

loupie1961 11-01-20 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 489726)
I always thought it was only the RASC parachute units that wore the "AIRBORNE" titles, the air despatchers wearing the standard "ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS" curved titles.

So this would be the kind of title worn on an Air Dispatcher BD blouse? Thank you in advance for your reply!

Hoot 12-01-20 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loupie1961 (Post 496954)
So this would be the kind of title worn on an Air Dispatcher BD blouse? Thank you in advance for your reply!

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Fatboy Ken 13-01-20 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

A picture speaks more than words.
Note, RASC shoulder title.
FBK

Attachment 217028

loupie1961 13-01-20 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 497172)
Hello all,

A picture speaks more than words.
Note, RASC shoulder title.
FBK

Attachment 217028

so NO Royal Army Service Corps full title? :confused: