British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Wilkinson Swords - any way to identify previous owners (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64660)

L1A1 04-10-17 06:36 AM

Wilkinson Swords - any way to identify previous owners

Hello All

I have recently come into a possession of a sword (Belonging to an Indian Police Service Officer). It has a Wilkinson blade.

I was told that the blade was owned by somebody else prior to being owned by the IPS officer. I would like, if possible, to try and find out who that original owner might have been.

I found a website (Cannot find the piece of paper I wrote the link on) and ran the serial number up on it. It stated that the blade had been manufactured sometime between 1914 and 1917.

Any help, as always, would be most appreciated

Ron

manchesters 04-10-17 06:57 AM

Wilkinson Sword have a register of for whom and when there numbered blade swords were made.

You can contact them and order a copy of the page in the register.

regards

Roy 04-10-17 01:59 PM

Hello Gents,

Wilkinson is no longer in possession of their number ledgers. Richard Milner had the remaining Wilkinson ledgers. He runs a service called 'Arms Research' and if the associated ledger has survived can look up the numbers for a small fee. I will add a link to his website below.

http://www.armsresearch.co.uk/

I have a copy of the numbers and can date swords, knives and guns but no other information.

Wilkinson was very hit and miss with recording numbers and/or details or all their arms, so a little luck is needed.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist further.

Cheerio,

Roy

norfolk regt man 05-10-17 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 423154)
Hello Gents,

Wilkinson is no longer in possession of their number ledgers. Richard Milner had the remaining Wilkinson ledgers. He runs a service called 'Arms Research' and if the associated ledger has survived can look up the numbers for a small fee. I will add a link to his website below.

http://www.armsresearch.co.uk/

I have a copy of the numbers and can date swords, knives and guns but no other information.

Wilkinson was very hit and miss with recording numbers and/or details or all their arms, so a little luck is needed.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist further.

Cheerio,

Roy

Hi Roy, does a Wilkinson sword have Wilkinson written on it, and do you have any records for hobson and son swords.
Thanks andrew

Roy 05-10-17 02:17 PM

Hi Andrew,

As Wilkinson is a particular area of study for me (see my website), this is the only company I have specific details on.

Wilkinson had marked their guns, swords and knives (and everything else) in many different ways since 1804 (prior it was H. Nock). But a normal making from the the period (around 1900) one would expect to see it the cartouche of HW (as I recall) for Henry Wilkinson).

I can't seem to lay my hands on the photographs of the swords I have owned in the past, but if I find them I will post an image.

Cheerio,

Roy

Roy 05-10-17 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Andrew,

I'm still searching my records but see attached the style of etching used during the First World War.

Cheerio,

Roy

L1A1 07-10-17 06:46 PM

Many thanks gentlemen and especially Roy. As usual you have surpassed yourselves. I will try and take some photos of the markings for you to look at

L1A1 18-10-17 02:26 PM

Finally!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Finally got around to taking a few photos of the sword

Kevin Elliott 05-11-17 11:36 PM

The number on your Wilkinson sword places it within the range of numbers for the period 1914 to 1917 (44401 - 54963). Because of the demand for swords at that time the usual precise recording of the buyers details was often omitted from their records. Also, etched decorations so often found on their blades is usually absent and plain (but still high quality) blades are seen.
The brass proofing disc inset into the ricasso denotes quality; round being their standard version and a hexagonal one indicates their highest quality. HW initials should be present on the disc.

Roy 06-11-17 03:49 AM

Hi Ron,

To add to Kevin's comments, I believe the Wilkinson ledger from that period unavailable, being destroyed in a fire if my memory is correct.

Cheerio,

Roy

dylanmdestpern 15-04-19 09:49 AM

I have my own HW Sword

8 Attachment(s)
Apologies for posting this directly on someone else's thread. But it's sort of related, so I guess it's OK.

I've inherited my great grandfathers WW2 Service sword.
I've done a bit of research, and I've narrowed it down to the date. But I'd like to know if there's any other interesting information regarding my grandfathers sword. It would be highly appreciated.

The serial number is: 27298

I've attached a few images here as well.

Thank you very much

dumdum 16-04-19 03:57 AM

Hello Roy

Have you ever seen a badge for the Ulster Signaller's & Despatch Rider Club? I believe that it dates from the formation of the UVF but I would welcome any further info.

I have one that I acquired some years back and would be happy to provide photo of same for you and the Forum. There is a Google image of the badge that I've located but I have a REAL one!

Roy 16-04-19 02:15 PM

Hi,

I have seen pictures but that's about it.

Start a new thread and share some images, would be nice to see and we have some knowledgable chaps here who could help with authenticity.

Cheers,

Roy

Lancer 17 19-04-19 12:47 PM

Hi Roy

Mate I have 2 Wilkinson swords, one a Victorian (Australian) Pre Federation (ie pre 1901) Victorian Mounted Rifles officers sword and the other a pattern 1912 Officers cavalry sword with a numbered blade and 17th Lancers markings. From memory it was made in 1912 and presumably carried during WW 1. I have a copy of the page from the sword book but there is no name of the owner, dam !! Let me know if you would like photos of either.

Regards

Phil.

grenadierguardsman 19-04-19 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanmdestpern (Post 475509)
Apologies for posting this directly on someone else's thread. But it's sort of related, so I guess it's OK.

I've inherited my great grandfathers WW2 Service sword.
I've done a bit of research, and I've narrowed it down to the date. But I'd like to know if there's any other interesting information regarding my grandfathers sword. It would be highly appreciated.

The serial number is: 27298

I've attached a few images here as well.

Thank you very much

Is that not a Victorian era sword ?
Andy