British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Mystery Arm Badges ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68439)

Hawthorn 14-06-18 10:29 AM

Mystery Arm Badges ?

2 Attachment(s)
Good Morning to you all,

Another mystery photograph I have picked up over the years and wondered if anyone could shed any light on the Unit of the Man shown. Not a very clear photograph I'm afraid but he appears to be wearing two separate arm badges, the bottom of the two looks like a '1' or 'I' but I can't work out the top one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, not for sale at the moment, just trying to identify photographs I have had for years.

Regards Simon.

Graham Stewart 15-06-18 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawthorn (Post 446243)
Good Morning to you all,

Another mystery photograph I have picked up over the years and wondered if anyone could shed any light on the Unit of the Man shown. Not a very clear photograph I'm afraid but he appears to be wearing two separate arm badges, the bottom of the two looks like a '1' or 'I' but I can't work out the top one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, not for sale at the moment, just trying to identify photographs I have had for years.

Regards Simon.

Appears to be a cloth shoulder title with the battalion numeral below.

manchesters 15-06-18 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Stewart (Post 446351)
Appears to be a cloth shoulder title with the battalion numeral below.

Not really on the shoulder though is it.

No idea myself though.

regards

Alan O 16-06-18 07:33 AM

A volunteer perhaps circa 1902 judging by the hat, shoulder strap and tunic. I have seen Volunteer Battalion cadets in similar dress.

Hawthorn 16-06-18 09:17 AM

Many thanks for all your replies, the 1902 date would certainly fit in with the quality of the photograph which is printed on the very thin paper of that period.

Regard Simon.

Graham Stewart 16-06-18 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 189914

Hope you're able to see this one OK, but these are members of the regular 4th Bn, N.F., taken sometime between 1900 & 1906. They are wearing the "shoulder title" - 'N.F.' in white on scarlet, with the battalion numeral '4' below, again in white on scarlet with their khaki uniforms. The detachable shoulder strap has no title on it at all, and the wearing of these 'cloth' titles this way was common practice during this period.
They were to be sewn one inch from the top of the sleeve, however this young lad doesn't appear to have abided by the rules.
I'll see if I have a better photo.

Graham Stewart 16-06-18 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 189917
Have tried tinkering on with it to show the titles and numerals. Hope they're viewable.

Alan O 16-06-18 05:55 PM

The Brodrick's date it after 1902 as that was the first year of their introduction.

Hawthorn 17-06-18 10:19 AM

Graham and Alan,

Thank you both for your replies, certainly a similar style badge being worn.

Simon.

Toby Purcell 30-06-18 06:56 PM

I have seen Graham's photo before. If I recall correctly I think that it shows the entire detachment of ‘boys’ (under 18s) on the battalion strength at that time. By regulation they were accommodated together and separate from the men of the battalion until reaching their 18th birthday.

Hawthorn 30-06-18 07:02 PM

Toby.

Thank you for that extra information.

Best regards Simon.