British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Doctor Who - Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35225)

Chacal 13-10-13 08:15 PM

Doctor Who - Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart

Evening Gents

The recently recovered ‘missing’ episodes of the 1968 Doctor Who series “The Web of Fear” feature the first appearance of Colonel (later General) Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, played by Nicholas Courtney. In it he is supposedly in the Scots Guards: is that borne out by the headgear he is wearing in the short clip on this link?:

http://forgivenalwaysandcompletely.t...bridge-stewart

It looks, to me, rather like the Glengarry currently worn by the Royal Regiment of Scotland with a generic ‘thistle’ badge attached. There may be better views available when the series is realised next month, but I’d welcome any comments on the authenticity (or lack of) of his headdress.

Thanks

Graham

David Tremain 14-10-13 03:23 PM

I didn't think the Scots Guards ever wore the glengarry, so I think it's probably a made up regiment, judging from the badge.
David

REMEVMBEA1 14-10-13 03:31 PM

Never mind the hat and badge, look at the rank......Brigadier Colonel. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.

Chacal 14-10-13 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 (Post 233624)
Never mind the hat and badge, look at the rank......Brigadier Colonel. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.

He was a Colonel in "The Web of Fear", but promoted to Brigadier by "Spearhead from Space", commanding the British section of UNIT (United Nations Intelligence Taskforce).

Yes, I'm an anorak:p:)

Graham

Chacal 14-10-13 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tremain (Post 233622)
I didn't think the Scots Guards ever wore the glengarry, so I think it's probably a made up regiment, judging from the badge.
David

Thanks David, once it's released I'll see if a better angle is available. But it looks like it's a prop cap as I thought.

Graham

Mike_2817 14-10-13 04:22 PM

It was The Royal Scots Diced Glengarry back in the 60's but as a Full Colonel he should have worn the Staff Officers Lion over Crown Badge on a Glengarry, but only if commanding a Scotish Formation!

Was it ever stated he was 'Scots Guards' ?

Wiki Character history

Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart was born in Scotland, according to dialogue in Terror of the Zygons. He first encounters the Second Doctor in The Web of Fear (1968), when Lethbridge-Stewart is a Colonel commanding a British Army detachment sent to investigate the Yeti in the London Underground. By his next appearance in The Invasion (also in 1968), he had been promoted to Brigadier and was working with UNIT

Peter Brydon 14-10-13 04:27 PM

I suppose to be entirely accurate do not Pipers ( and only Pipers ) in the Scots Guards wear Glengarries ?

The thing I found interesting in the clips from the tapes was that some of the soldiers I think were wearing battledress which just goes to show how long Doctor Who has been going.

P.B.

54Bty 14-10-13 04:39 PM

It is after all a fictional TV Programme.

Marc

Mike_2817 14-10-13 05:16 PM

Go wash your mouth out with soap young Marc - Fictional indeed, you will be saying Thunderbirds were puppets next.

Peter Brydon 14-10-13 05:20 PM

Marc,

You will also be saying Corrie is only fiction .

Peter

54Bty 14-10-13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 233652)
Marc,

Peter

Don't get me started on the soaps! :(

Marc :)

ORISKANY 14-10-13 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 233652)
Marc,

Peter

Not forgetting Prime Ministers Question Time!:eek:

Chacal 03-08-19 10:11 PM

Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart in Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear

1 Attachment(s)
The original link I posted appears to be defunct, for those interested in badges of fictional units here is a clearer screenshot of the badge in question: a large thistle flanked by two thistle leaves.

Graham

engr9266 04-08-19 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 233652)
Marc,

Peter

I know it's real, I have been there and Emmerdale and Aidensfield and....:D