British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Possibly a Martingale Badge Cypher not known (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73359)

Doodles 22-04-19 10:42 AM

Possibly a Martingale Badge Cypher not known

4 Attachment(s)
I believe this is possibly a Martingale badge.

In the outer circular band it reads "HIS HIGHNESS'S OWN REGIMENT"

In the centre a Cypher I can not identify. There is a Sword laying across the top, which makes me think it may be Indian.

The badge measures 85mm x 48mm. Weighs 50 grams. Type of metal, I can not work it out for sure, possible brass, its so dirty and worn. The fasteners on the reverse are broken.

Any information any one has would be gratefully received.

Freddy

Doodles 22-04-19 10:49 AM

Unknow Cypher and Regiment/Cavalry

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another photos of the badge.
This has been flipped/mirrored to get a better image of the Cypher
Freddy

peter monahan 22-04-19 02:14 PM

If it is Indian, which is a possibility, I'd suggest that it belongs to one of the princely states, many of whom had bodyguard regiments. It is not, I'm quite sure, to any British Indian Army unit, as 'HHO' is not a title given to any of them, to the best of my knowledge.

in 1939, at least six princely states - Bahawalpur, Bikaner, Faridkot, Kutch, Sirmor and Travancore - had units styled 'His Highness Own [Bodyguard]' so it seems likely that this is an earlier period badge to one of those units.

Doodles 22-04-19 03:03 PM

Thanks for that piece of information Peter. I will start looking up that side of things.
Freddy

Doodles 22-04-19 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that I know it was possibly Indian. I only have two reference books on the subject, one for Indian military uniforms, the other, Indian Princely Medals, by Tony McClenaghan. Under Baroda State, there is a Golden Jubilee Medal 1926. On the obverse there is a monogram “SRG” (Sayaji Rao Gaekwar) above this a tulwar (curved sword). The images of both are very similar, if not the same.
There is however three dynasties (1732–1768),(1818–1847)&(1875–1939).

Baroda State was a princely state in present-day Gujarat, ruled by the Gaekwad dynasty of the Maratha Confederacy from its formation in 1721 until 1949 when it acceded to the newly formed Union of India.

Freddy

peter monahan 23-04-19 11:35 AM

wouldn't put too too much stock in the resemblance between the swords/scimitars: its a common pattern and artists and engravers did borrow from each other. That said, it would be worth looking at nineteenth century lists of the Baroda state Forces to see whether any of the units were styled 'HHOR'. Good luck with the hunt!

Khyber 23-04-19 11:51 PM

Can confirm this is infact Baroda. Have seen here in India before.

Doodles 24-04-19 06:29 AM

Thank you everyone for your input, Peter and Khyber.
I need to find reference to the Baroda State with a regiment that has "HIS HIGHNESS'S OWN REGIMENT".
Freddy