British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Future King in the Field. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59727)

Voltigeur 01-02-17 09:33 PM

The Future King in the Field.

Q 111649

http://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/416/787/large_000000.jpg

Hoot 01-02-17 09:49 PM

He's almost smiling, makes a change from the usual miserable expression.:)

Frank Kelley 01-02-17 09:53 PM

I hope he was better as a serving soldier than a reigning sovereign.:(

grenadierguardsman 01-02-17 10:36 PM

Brilliant, and the dog's having a go at him !
Andy:)

ASR142 01-02-17 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 392702)
I hope he was better as a serving soldier than a reigning sovereign.:(

Yep he got the MC and was forced to return as GVR signed his papers for the medal and was furious and ordered his immediate return to the UK well that's the way the story goes steve

Hoot 01-02-17 11:23 PM

He was no stranger to old dogs!!. Given his attitude towards his disabled younger brother, his horrendous description of the Australian Aboriginal people, his obsession with the Nazis and his obvious contempt for the common people, it's not surprising he is held in contempt. Given the way he is posing, his hand in his pocket, he looks like what he was, a right w---er!!.

Frank Kelley 02-02-17 07:46 AM

LOL!:D
A gallantry award, for the occasional visit to the lines, it does rather cheapen the decoration, one that others had to earn the hard way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASR142 (Post 392718)
Yep he got the MC and was forced to return as GVR signed his papers for the medal and was furious and ordered his immediate return to the UK well that's the way the story goes steve

Hoot 02-02-17 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 392739)
LOL!:D
A gallantry award, for the occasional visit to the lines, it does rather cheapen the decoration, one that others had to earn the hard way.

My thoughts exactly!!.

Voltigeur 02-02-17 02:33 PM

I wonder who are the three other officers in the picture and what happened to them? Being Grenadier Guards I suppose they were the elite of the British society of the time.....
:rolleyes:
Jo

Frank Kelley 03-02-17 07:45 AM

What indeed, if only they had the same level of protection those gorget patches afforded the Prince of Wales.:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltigeur (Post 392777)
I wonder who are the three other officers in the picture and what happened to them? Being Grenadier Guards I suppose they were the elite of the British society of the time.....
:rolleyes:
Jo

Mike_2817 03-02-17 11:22 AM

His Wiki entry says:

When the First World War broke out in 1914, Edward had reached the minimum age for active service and was keen to participate. He had joined the Grenadier Guards in June 1914, and although Edward was willing to serve on the front lines, Secretary of State for War Lord Kitchener refused to allow it, citing the immense harm that would occur if the heir to the throne were captured by the enemy.

Despite this, Edward witnessed trench warfare first-hand and attempted to visit the front line as often as he could, for which he was awarded the Military Cross in 1916. His role in the war, although limited, made him popular among veterans of the conflict. Edward undertook his first military flight in 1918, and later gained a pilot's licence.

Hoot 03-02-17 08:43 PM

I'm sure he would have been well looked after by his German relatives if he had been taken prisoner.:)

grey_green_acorn 03-02-17 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking slightly glummer!
Tim

charlie962 03-02-17 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
His MC came in the Kings Birthday honours, so no citation. A recently published letter discloses that the PoW was not happy.
Attachment 164615

Hoot 03-02-17 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire's Collectables (Post 392986)
I must admit that I find the majority of the replies to this thread to be repulsive and frankly disappointing, this after all is a young man, regardless of later outcomes in life doing what he probably feels is the right thing! Similar to the current "Young" Royal Princess who have both exposed themselves to Active Service!

If time was taken to do some research it would be quickly established that he was probably going against his parents wishes in going to the front. You cannot recommend yourself for a MC, so his chain of command at the time obviously felt a recommendation was justified!

The images linked to are first rate, but it is saddening that some just feel they are justified in having cheap digs at a Family who have put Country first in almost everything they have done in over a century...

:mad:

So, he put his country first in 1936 then did he Andy?.