British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jennens (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73806)

Drmiggy 19-05-19 10:33 PM

Jennens

Any advice would be welcome and thanks in advance.

The original 4th Dragoon Officers badges were 4 (RI) Dragoon Guards and these were in silver and gilt and OSD Bronze. My first question was there any collar badges issued with these or not.

Secondly when these badges were replaced with 4 Royal Irish D. Guards ones were these made by J & Co. I have ones by Gaunt and ones with no maker details.

KLR 20-05-19 01:35 PM

I would assume that there are J&Co collar badges.

J&Co were taken over by Gaunts in 1925 who used many of their dies but marked GAUNT LATE JENNENS.

But sorry, I don't know much about cavalry badge dates.

Bill 20-05-19 04:26 PM

The "official" badge appears to be the "4th Royal Irish D. Guards" version, according to Dress Regs.

So why does the Jennens badge reads "4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards", (with a full stop missing)?

It is just a guess, I have no evidence for this, but do the J&Co. badges post-date 1918? They always appear in pristine condition and there is also a version stamped "Gaunt's Late Jennens", a mark used between 1924 and 1926 after Gaunt's acquired Jennens. On the other hand, 24 officers joined the regiment in 1917 and 1918.

The badges a rare. A total of 109 officers served with the regiment during the Great War.

Bill

Drmiggy 20-05-19 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here’s my examples of a silver/gilt and a Bronze one. These were only ever issued to Officers. Both these are J&Co examples. No full stop after the I.

btns 20-05-19 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 478853)
So why does the Jennens badge reads "4th (R.I) Dragoon Guards", (with a full stop missing)?

Bill

Many good designs do not have a full stop after the last letter.

Drmiggy 21-05-19 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 478831)
I would assume that there are J&Co collar badges.

J&Co were taken over by Gaunts in 1925 who used many of their dies but marked GAUNT LATE JENNENS.

But sorry, I don't know much about cavalry badge dates.

Thanks KLR, I assumed that there must of been collar badges as well. Normally the collar badge had lugs and the cap badge for OSD had blades. I was going to ask if anyone had seen the earlier ones with blades. My example has lugs and was sold as a cap badge.

I think it is a really good example, so more than happy with it, just got the mind thinking. Is there any Cavalry experts out there that could sort the dilemma out?

3748 Hussar 21-05-19 07:18 PM

Collars/caps

Hi Drmiggy,

Looking at you photo on my mobile , it’s looks like your BZ badge may have been be relugged??? . Possibly had blades in the past ????. Could you provide some close up pictures of the rear of the badge

Cheers

3748 Hussars

Drmiggy 21-05-19 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar (Post 478944)
Hi Drmiggy,

Looking at you photo on my mobile , it’s looks like your BZ badge may have been be relugged??? . Possibly had blades in the past ????. Could you provide some close up pictures of the rear of the badge

Cheers

3748 Hussars

Are these any better 3748 Hussars? Do you think they have been relugged?