British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mystery WC-CC badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86714)

25RF 04-10-21 09:42 AM

Mystery WC-CC badge

2 Attachment(s)
I am wondering if anyone can help in identifying this badge. A friend purchased it quite some time ago as part of a collection of WW1 badges, but has never been able to ID it. Judging by its construction, it appears to be a local/field made example and is made from solid nickel and brass. Its shape would suggest that it may originate from India, North Africa, or the Middle East but the inclusion of the stamped “WC-CC” initials would seem to indicate a Western connection. Stamped into the slider on the reverse is a small maker’s stamp with the initials “SM”. It is 34mm (1 1/3”) long not including the slider. Any help would be gratefully received.

Bill A 04-10-21 11:17 AM

Hello 25RF, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

Alex Rice 04-10-21 11:38 AM

Women's C? C? Committee?
Something along those lines?x

Padre 04-10-21 12:02 PM

I doubt very much this is a military badge. It looks like a sweetheart badge to me, probably locally made by a jeweller or in a bazaar somewhere like North Africa. There is nothing military about the design and I'd suggest the 'WC' and 'CC' are probably the initials of a husband and wife. The back fixing with 'slider' facing both up and down looks like a buttonhole fixing for a man.

25RF 04-10-21 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 561309)
Women's C? C? Committee?
Something along those lines?x

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your suggestion, it is much appreciated.

25RF 04-10-21 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padre (Post 561312)
I doubt very much this is a military badge. It looks like a sweetheart badge to me, probably locally made by a jeweller or in a bazaar somewhere like North Africa. There is nothing military about the design and I'd suggest the 'WC' and 'CC' are probably the initials of a husband and wife. The back fixing with 'slider' facing both up and down looks like a buttonhole fixing for a man.

Thanks for your suggestions. Some good observations there, which certainly make sense. I hadn't considered the reason for the part of the slider facing upwards. Both the groups of letters ending with a 'C' would fit with it being a husband & wife's initials. Thank you for help, it is very kind of you.

Padre 04-10-21 01:50 PM

Pleasure! :)

Expanding a little, the initials could be for brothers (or siblings) with the item sent to a mother.

Rob Miller 04-10-21 02:50 PM

My guess would be ? ? Cricket Club or ? ? Cycling Club.

Rob

25RF 04-10-21 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 561329)
My guess would be ? ? Cricket Club or ? ? Cycling Club.

Rob

Another good suggestion, thank you Rob. Yes, maybe a locally made lapel badge for an ex-pat's cricket or cycling club?

25RF 04-10-21 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padre (Post 561320)
Pleasure! :)

Expanding a little, the initials could be for brothers (or siblings) with the item sent to a mother.

That is a possibility also. Thank you.

grey_green_acorn 04-10-21 04:49 PM

Shaw Munster maker's mark

SM on the slider could be maker Shaw Munster, producing for more than 150 Years and still active:
https://shawmunstergroup.co.uk

Tim

leigh kitchen 04-10-21 04:59 PM

A Shaw Munster slider adapted for use on a locally made item?
A certain amount of care and effort's gone into manufacture and yet the stamping of the Initials is all over the shop.

25RF 04-10-21 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 561345)
SM on the slider could be maker Shaw Munster, producing for more than 150 Years and still active:
https://shawmunstergroup.co.uk

Tim

Thanks Tim, that is interesting. I am wondering if the slider could have been removed from a Shaw Muster badge and reused on this item.

25RF 04-10-21 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 561347)
A Shaw Munster slider adapted for use on a locally made item?
A certain amount of care and effort's gone into manufacture and yet the stamping of the Initials is all over the shop.

Thanks for your suggestion. That is a good point you have made. The maker's stamp on the slider indicates that that part was professionally manufactured, but the rest of the badge has quite obviously been hand fashioned, probably in a local bazaar as 'Padre' suggested earlier. The slider has been attached with lead solder and judging by how oxidised it is, was done a long time ago. It was probably made up from materials which were to hand at the time.

Phil2M 04-10-21 08:31 PM

I would suggest its a trench made piece. As the others have said a gift sent home, from a husband to a wife.