British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   a BELT and some insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54155)

RAD 03-06-16 09:35 AM

a BELT and some insignia

3 Attachment(s)
Many years ago I was fortunate enough to buy a large and very old collection of Boer War interest ... so large it was really a small museum. This rather nice Boer belt was amongst it , but also in a frame were the 3 items of insignia, displayed as I show in the picture . The frame was extremely woodwormy and the backing cloth on which the badges were mounted was shredded by moths, so I took out the insignia and disposed of the frame. What I have always wondered is what do the 3 badges represent and were they in fact worn together ?

Milmed 03-06-16 10:57 AM

The large SA as far as I am aware stands for Staats Artillery of the ZAR. This was worn above crossed cannons.

The crossed cannons you have appear to be Dutch (with the W cypher) with an applied cannon. This may by Dutch naval artillery?

Not sure about the II badge.

The items may have simply be put into the frame 100 odd years ago and may not be related to each other.

Steven

RAD 03-06-16 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milmed (Post 362995)
The large SA as far as I am aware stands for Staats Artillery of the ZAR. This was worn above crossed cannons.

The crossed cannons you have appear to be Dutch (with the W cypher) with an applied cannon. This may by Dutch naval artillery?

Not sure about the II badge.

The items may have simply be put into the frame 100 odd years ago and may not be related to each other.

Steven

Interesting , thanks a lot .

kingsley 04-06-16 01:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The crossed cannons badge appears to me to have an anchor not a W. Is this correct? If it is either an anchor or a W it is probably not ZAR or OVS. Never seen the SA badge but Staats Arty sounds right.
The ZAR silver buckle was featured on this site a few months ago and is a type I have been seeking for years. I have shown a picture of a ZARP wearing it but may have been worn by the arty as well.
Have shown a couple of other buckles from my picture file. I only have the ZAR buckle shown on the belt, never seen the wider brass one. Any ideas what it is? I also found the picture of the round ZAR badge and would also like to know what it is.
Until yesterday I never knew that the OVS brass buckle existed and have added it to my want list. Question: does a locket type OVS buckle (like the ZAR one illustrated) exist? It seems quite likely.

Milmed 04-06-16 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 363122)
The crossed cannons badge appears to me to have an anchor not a W. Is this correct? If it is either an anchor or a W it is probably not ZAR or OVS. Never seen the SA badge but Staats Arty sounds right.

Hi Kinsley, the 'W' monogram I refer to is on the gun barrels within a wreath and topped with a crown. I believe this represents the Dutch monarchy. And yes there is an anchor positioned between the two cannon.

Steven

RobD 04-06-16 11:46 AM

naval arty?

Hmm... I think if it was ZAR naval artillery it was probably quite a small outfit.

Though I do have OVS Navy bits and pieces I thought might sell well on ebay, along with my ZAR Airforce items...

fougasse1940 04-06-16 04:11 PM

If Dutch, the 'W' would refer to Queen Wilhelmina, who reigned from 1890 to 1948.

Rgds, Thomas.

RAD 04-06-16 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobD (Post 363147)
Hmm... I think if it was ZAR naval artillery it was probably quite a small outfit.

Though I do have OVS Navy bits and pieces I thought might sell well on ebay, along with my ZAR Airforce items...

Talking of which I once was offered a Parachute Regiment cap badge which had had the King's crown replaced with a QVC !

Zullu18 15-02-22 01:40 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 363122)
The ZAR silver buckle was featured on this site a few months ago and is a type I have been seeking for years. I have shown a picture of a ZARP wearing it but may have been worn by the arty as well.
Have shown a couple of other buckles from my picture file. I only have the ZAR buckle shown on the belt, never seen the wider brass one. Any ideas what it is? I also found the picture of the round ZAR badge and would also like to know what it is.
Until yesterday I never knew that the OVS brass buckle existed and have added it to my want list. Question: does a locket type OVS buckle (like the ZAR one illustrated) exist? It seems quite likely.

The SAZAR had 5 cap badges ZAR. ZAR dick, SA, Lionhead, Guns and bomb and just That I add picks of badge and OVS belt buckle