British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   All of the Rhodesian SAS and British SAS Para Wings worn by them (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45197)

rhodesianmilitaria 13-03-15 03:34 PM

All of the Rhodesian SAS and British SAS Para Wings worn by them

1 Attachment(s)
First time I have put this in the public arena.
This is all of the types of para wings worn by the Rhodesian SAS from the end of WWII to their self disbandment in 1980.
First four on the left hand side are British.
The reason there is three for the 'Greens' uniform and four for the combat uniform in the middle row is because they all have different backings or different coloured backings. The wing on the bottom has quite a bit larger background. I purchased that out of Scotland and have never seen another quite like it. Period genuine but a variation.
The two gold and silver bullion wings on the right were for officers from 1971 onwards. Reason there is two is because one has a small 'V' at the bottom.
The red miniature is for officers mess dress and the light blue miniature was for OR's mess dress.
All are padded except the officers bullion and the mess dress.

Attachment 123087

3battalion 13-03-15 09:33 PM

Nicely done Peter and thanks for sharing it with the forum.

I have seen the wings that are second from the top in the first row attributed to the Malayan period and not WW2. I just wanted to confirm that you believe these are all post WW2 wings? Sorry for my confusion with the 'end of WW2'.

Regards

Paul

123fireman 13-03-15 09:54 PM

Post World War Two.

rhodesianmilitaria 13-03-15 10:04 PM

Yes all post WW2.

3battalion 13-03-15 11:01 PM

Thanks Peter

Paul.

rhodesianmilitaria 13-03-15 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quite often Rhodesian para wings for the combat (camo) uniform are found like this with the padding removed. Some soldiers did this because it was then easier to iron that section of the shirt.

Attachment 123109Attachment 123110

CarterHogan2 27-11-17 10:16 PM

Did enlisted in the Rhodesian Army (from RLI) wear Parawings on dress uniforms?

If so, where?

irishdixie 26-12-17 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterHogan2 (Post 428729)

If so, where?

Hello, new to the forum. Yes the RLI wore para wings on the right shoulder under RHODESIA title on the dress greens. Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays !!

Kenny

WWIIBuff 19-01-18 04:09 AM

I know this is an old thread, but nice collection Peter. :)

rhodesianmilitaria 11-02-19 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterHogan2 (Post 428729)

If so, where?

They wore the wing for the dress uniform (Greens). There was no mess dress para wing for the RLI, Army or Selous Scouts. Only the RhSAS had a mess dress wing.

JON188 11-02-19 11:08 PM

Malaya period wings.

Malaya period wings.
Hi Peter et al. I too always thought that the wings described as Malayan, were such.
However i now believe that the actual style of the wing can be attributed to during WW2.
Im sure there was an auction last year with a French SAS member who had a wing in this style.
Does anyone have a similar wing attributed to a wartime vet?
Regards
Jon

JON188 12-02-19 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found the picture.
Sorry if it belongs to someone on here.
Attachment 201577
Thanks to the current owner who has given permission for the photo to stay on the site to provide collectors an awareness.

grenadierguardsman 12-02-19 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria (Post 302636)
First time I have put this in the public arena.
This is all of the types of para wings worn by the Rhodesian SAS from the end of WWII to their self disbandment in 1980.
First four on the left hand side are British.
The reason there is three for the 'Greens' uniform and four for the combat uniform in the middle row is because they all have different backings or different coloured backings. The wing on the bottom has quite a bit larger background. I purchased that out of Scotland and have never seen another quite like it. Period genuine but a variation.
The two gold and silver bullion wings on the right were for officers from 1971 onwards. Reason there is two is because one has a small 'V' at the bottom.
The red miniature is for officers mess dress and the light blue miniature was for OR's mess dress.
All are padded except the officers bullion and the mess dress.

Attachment 123087

Smart as.
Andy

rhodesianmilitaria 13-02-19 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JON188 (Post 468676)
Found the picture.
Sorry if it belongs to someone on here.
Attachment 201577

Interesting.

rhodesianmilitaria 13-02-19 10:17 AM

The bottom wing on twill green in the middle row is the only one I have ever seen of that size.
There's duplicate wings because I also collected the different reverses, different material or different coloured material.
Might write it all down one day.