British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Welsh Regiment Cap Badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80976)

Catlins01 26-09-20 02:18 PM

Welsh Regiment Cap Badge?

Can anyone help identify the cap badge/regiment of the attached photo of my grandfather please?
It is likely to be a Welsh regiment, although he was posted to Belfast in the 1920's.

Many thanks

Bill A 26-09-20 07:57 PM

Hello Catlins01, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Your image is not posted with your message.

leigh kitchen 26-09-20 08:03 PM

The 2nd Battalion Welsh / Welch Regiment were based in Ireland 1920 - 1927.
A name may help.........

JerryBB 26-09-20 08:20 PM

Rwf, though with no pic...

Catlins01 29-09-20 01:51 PM

Welsh Regiment Cap Badge

1 Attachment(s)
Photo should be attached this time. My grandfathers name was William John Davies from Swansea. Thank you:)

Sonofacqms 01-10-20 07:54 PM

Cap badge ID

From the cap and collar badges he was a Gunner.

Rob

Phil2M 01-10-20 08:01 PM

Royal Artillery

leigh kitchen 01-10-20 08:08 PM

More than one William John Davies, Royal Artillery, WWI ......

JerryBB 01-10-20 08:24 PM

Royal Artillery as already stated

mike_vee 01-10-20 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 524409)
More than one William John Davies, Royal Artillery, WWI ......

Could be worse , could be Jones ! :eek:

" 'Tis a Welsh regiment, man! Though there are some foreigners from England in it , mind. I am Jones from Bwlchgwyn, he is Jones from Builth Wells, and there are four more Joneses in C Company! " :D

leigh kitchen 01-10-20 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 524412)

" 'Tis a Welsh regiment, man! Though there are some foreigners from England in it , mind. I am Jones from Bwlchgwyn, he is Jones from Builth Wells, and there are four more Joneses in C Company! " :D

"Zulus to the sarf west - fahzunds of 'em!"

gb64 01-10-20 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catlins01 (Post 524156)
Photo should be attached this time. My grandfathers name was William John Davies from Swansea. Thank you:)

As has been said he’s Royal Artillery, he’s also wearing a bandolier which suggests a mounted soldier, with lance corporals rank chevrons and a good conduct chevron on his lower left arm.

Gerard

JerryBB 02-10-20 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 524412)

As a collector of welsh great war medals, this is a problem, though with their service number they can usually be tracked down.

I was researching a private purchase ceramic memorial plaque to Wm Williams who died in service with the South Wales Borderers, one of 24 who died....impossible to narrow it down any further.