British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry and Armoured Units (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Original 1 CACR cap badge... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16993)

Bill A 04-06-11 11:02 AM

Original 1 CACR cap badge...

With so many repro 1 CACR "kangaroo" cap badges out there, it is nice to see an authentic one for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
And, it is from a reputable Canadian dealer.

Darrell 09-06-11 07:37 PM

Hi

Sold for US$406 so "somebody" got a darn good deal!!!

regards
Darrell

WJ Miller 09-06-11 08:17 PM

Yeah, I'm pleased with the price.:D

Darrell 09-06-11 10:19 PM

Hi Bill

As you should be. Well done.:cool:

regards
Darrell

Tanker Mike 13-06-11 02:21 PM

ROO badge

Nice buy Bill, I was your competitor on that auction.

WJ Miller 13-06-11 07:54 PM

kangaroo badges

Thanks guys, and sorry TankerMike, better luck next time I suppose.

Despite what DavidS may believe about me trying corner the market on genuine badges... generally, I do not buy much, if any "kangaroo" memorabilia anymore unless it has provenance to a specific individual (even at that, I recently passed up a marked web holster recently, just a holster alone, while unique, doesn't say much about the Trooper who wore it and my interest in the regiment is more about the stories of the guys than their stuff).

However, with the 1CACR Association's impending celebrations and perpetuation with 31CER (the Elgins) I thought I would pick up a badge to donate to them (along with some other stuff) for display in "our" modest little corner of their Armoury. And with that in mind I am glad it was a bit of a bargain. I was expecting the end price to be $50-$100 higher.

I am always looking for Kangaroos in photos and documents though...

Tanker Mike 15-06-11 03:50 PM

Donations

Bill I would like to donate a WW2 black Canadian armoured beret for your museum display, it's a cloth work dress style with C arrow and stamped faintly 1945. No holes for capbadge, I was told with these work dress berets that capbadges were not worn, is that accurate?

Mike

Please email me with your address, I hope this Canada Post strike does not hamper my delivery to you in time.

edstorey 15-06-11 04:34 PM

Black Berets

The black cotton or canvas type 'berets' are actually mechanics caps to be worn with black coveralls when working on a vehicle. They are a work related headdress and were not intended to have insignia on them.

WJ Miller 15-06-11 10:18 PM

Mechanics Caps

I am not even sure how wide spread the issue and use of the mechanics cap was? I've never seen a used one, so to speak. All the ones I've ever noticed on eBay seem unissued. Were they even used overseas?

In theatre (NWE anyway), the few photos I have of mechanics and fitters (CAC and RCEME) in the field working, they seem to be wearing regular berets or no head dress at all. :confused:

I do recall seeing a photo (I cannot recall the source right now) of a couple troopers painting a CMP and one or both were wearing the mechanics cap, one had actually painted numbers on the top of the cap.

Wyn vdSchee 15-06-11 11:50 PM

Caps, mechanic

I recall seeing a version of this headgear worn by RCEMe and RCAC personnel in the tank hangar at the Meaford AFV range in the early 1960s. As others have indicated, no badges were worn on them and they were worn with black coveralls.

Tanker Mike 17-06-11 03:24 PM

Donation

Bill would you like this donation, yes or no.

WJ Miller 17-06-11 04:36 PM

Mike, PM sent. Thanks.

Tanker Mike 02-09-11 04:35 PM

WW2 pic

2 Attachment(s)
Troopers with work dress and regular black berets with Ram tanks in England training.

WJ Miller 02-09-11 07:02 PM

Canada not England

Good photos.

These are photos from part of the estate of Tpr Lorne Jardine (who was a Kangaroo actually), photos are taken in Canada, 1942. One of the Ram fenders is marked A8 CACTC, I'm can't recall the location of A8? might have been London/Woodstock gauging from the rest of his items that were on eBay a few weeks ago.

Bill A 02-09-11 08:49 PM

A8 and A9 were authorized at Camp Borden later to be re-designated A33. Not sure how the Meaford Tank Range fits in, but it may have been a component of either A8 or A9 or it may have been one of the two. Woodstock was designated S11 and later re-designated S5, (Driving and Maintenance School.) The "A" prefixes stood for Advanced Training units, and the "S" for Schools.