British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Dad's WW2 badges & medals (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85835)

Waterloo1815 28-07-21 11:11 AM

Dad's WW2 badges & medals

15 Attachment(s)
I've just completed a 48 page document detailing my dad's WW2 service with 2nd Battalion The Buffs from 1940 to 1945; through training (1940), coastal defence in Kent & Sussex (1941 to May 1942), followed by service with the 8th Army in North Africa (June 1942 to August 1944), including action at Alam el Halfa & El Alamein; plus guard duty at the Tehran Conference in November 1944. He was then transferred to the 36th (British) Infantry Division and served with the 14th Army in Burma until the end of the war. He gave me his badges and dog tags when I was about 11 years old (1969), and mum gave me his medals after he passed away in 1995, plus his entire collection of army papers, pay & service books, photo's of his army pals during his service, and every scrap of paper he carried with him! (some of which I've attached). It was his badges & dog tags that first got me interested in all things military, as I'm sure it was for many young boys at this time. I have also completed similar documents on both my paternal & maternal grandfathers WW1 service (Royal Berkshire & Royal Artillery Regiments respectively). I have recently framed my maternal grandfathers medals, photo etc, and will do the same for my fathers medals and badges. Unfortunately I don't have my paternal grandfathers medals, but will still make up a display case from photo's and original WW1 (purchased) cap badge. It has always grieved me when I see medals and badges being sold by grand-children etc on programmes like 'Flog It', as they have just found them loose in a drawer when clearing out a relatives house. I intent to ensure that my Grandfathers & Dads (plus my uncles) will be passed down through the family fully documented and framed. Hope this is of interest.

Charliedog012012 28-07-21 01:34 PM

Sir, I both admire and applaud your efforts and sentiments. What a wonderful gift to pass down to those who follow you in your family. When I buy a medal I try to find out as much as I can about the recipient and it can prove so rewarding. As is often said, ‘Lest we forget’.

Home Guard 28-07-21 03:53 PM

Very nicely done!

Terry

Waterloo1815 29-07-21 07:47 AM

Thanks chaps. Although I don't have children of my own, I can pass these onto my nephew who has always been interested in the family history, so they will be in good hands.

MarkGD 29-07-21 10:39 AM

Very nice work, thanks for sharing - Regards Mark

yorkstone 29-07-21 06:48 PM

A worthy project I like the ww1 framed group
Regards
Stephen