British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Anzac medallion (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71686)

GTB 17-01-19 11:06 AM

Anzac medallion

2 Attachment(s)
What an evocative piece!

GTB

leigh kitchen 17-01-19 11:21 AM

Nice. What's the "EVD" stand for please, does it refer to a location's Veteran:s Day?
Is the spelling of "Honor" correct or a misspelling of "Honour"?

GTB 17-01-19 11:40 AM

Hi Leigh

What I am led to believe is that the reason of this piece is similar to medallion souvenirs that were presented to school children for coronations, etc. In fact the EVD (or EDV) signifies 'Education Department of Victoria'. The spelling of 'HONOR' is as appears on other strikes. Medallion still has a large portion of silvering.

GTB

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/53193

Lancer 17 17-01-19 11:42 AM

Hi All

These medallions were issued by the Education Department of Victoria (EVD) to school children for Anzac Day in 1915.

Regards

Phil.

leigh kitchen 17-01-19 01:30 PM

Ta - I wasn't sure if the "Honor"spelling is the Australian spelling - it's got to be ok if a Dept of Education are responsible.
(I know the "1915" is just a typo for "1918" Phil, it is interesting that ANZAC Day is already an institution by 1918).

GTB 17-01-19 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 465621)
Ta - I wasn't sure if the "Honor"spelling is the Australian spelling - it's got to be ok if a Dept of Education are responsible.
(I know the "1915" is just a typo for "1918" Phil, it is interesting that ANZAC Day is already an institution by 1918).

And being the catalyst that helped forge the national identity of Australians and New Zealanders. There's something about Gallipoli that has an aura when mentioning the name. Before the landings it was an unknown backwater. From the landings onward - legendary. To this day I can't reconcile with the failure of the operation.

GTB

Jackhr 17-01-19 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 465621)

These Medallions were made in 1918 to commemorate ANZAC Day. They were issued by the Education Department of Victoria to school children. The medal was also sold on behalf of the Australian Branch of the British Red Cross Society.
The medal was made in bronze, silvered bronze, silver and gold.

The Anzac Day 1918 medallion was struck by the Education Department of Victoria, which was actively involved in wartime fundraising in the First World War. Programmes included the Young Gardeners League, the Young Workers' Patriotic Guild, concerts, fundraising and food for soldiers in hospital, especially the Caulfield Military Hospital, and constant letter writing to soldiers abroad. Some £300,337 was raised by the Department during the war.

The Department's booklet 'How We Raised the First Hundred Thousand', published in 1917 states: 'On the first anniversary of the Anzac's landing, that historic event was commemorated by the striking and issue of a bronze medallion. It was an artistic piece of workmanship which found a ready demand throughout Victoria and neighbouring states. One hundred and seventy five thousand medallions were supplied and circulated, and the profits from the sales added some £2,000 to the Fund.' The example shown here was struck for Anzac Day 1918.

Circular bronze medalet featuring an Australian Digger in profile accompanied by the words 'Honor to the A.I.F.' on one side. The other side features a central rectangular panel with the words 'Gallipoli France Palestine' with a sprig of wattle, with the words 'EVD Anzac Day 1918' around the circumference. Fitted with a suspension loop which carries a short length of red, white an blue cotton ribbon.

GTB 17-01-19 08:43 PM

Thanks Jackhr, for giving depth to this thread

GTB