British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Zealand Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   NZ Armoured Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71212)

Ironside410 18-12-18 12:06 PM

NZ Armoured Badges

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

I have recently acquired a post WW2 NZ beret, assorted armoured cloth badges, and a stable belt from the family of a deceased NZ Scottish sergeant.

The beret has the NZ Armoured Corps badge with a green cloth diamond patch behind the badge. I have confirmed the NZ Scottish did at times wear a green diamond behind their beret badge.

During our chat the son also indicated that other NZ armoured units wore cloth patches behind their badges but I haven't been able to find any reference to it.

Is anybody aware of any post WW2 NZ armoured units wearing cloth patches behind their beret badges?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dennis

fearnaught 18-12-18 07:02 PM

Hi, I'm not an expert on NZ armour but would it be OK to have pics of the other bits, best wishes Mike

Ironside410 19-12-18 01:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Mike

Attached are pics of the other items.

I didn't include the stable belt as it is just the standard Black Watch stable belt which was worn by the NZ Scottish.

The book is called The Tanks and is the unofficial history of the Third NZ Tank Squadron in the Pacific Theatre.

Dennis

Jackhr 19-12-18 03:41 AM

Nice original lot to one soldier ......... very nice

Cheers Rob

RNeil 19-12-18 06:46 AM

When I was serving in QAMR we wore a green patch behind the badge and I believe NZ Scots also wore a Green patch behind the RNZAC Badge.

fearnaught 19-12-18 08:17 AM

Hi Dennis, thank you very much. What a great lot. I love the squadron history, didn't even know it existed. Do you have any idea what the slip-ons are? also what the small metal tank was for? You do someone a favour and they ask for more!!! Hope all is well with you and thanks again for the images, best wishes Mike

Ironside410 19-12-18 08:22 AM

RNeil

Thanks for the info re the QAMR cloth backing, all these little pieces of information are hard to find on an official site.

Dennis

Ironside410 19-12-18 10:01 AM

Hello Mike

All going well in FNQ, last cyclone missed us but I daresay there will be a few more before the end of the season.

The book is a nice little unit history, lots of interesting facts.

The small tank badge is a home made sweetheart or association badge, its about 2mm thick and appears to be made out of a light alloy.

The slip-ons I have no idea, I assume they are some sort of sub unit ID but haven't been able to find out anything more specific yet. Maybe someone on the forum will be able to offer some advice.

Dennis

atillathenunns 22-12-18 11:10 PM

Hi Dennis, I am a big fan of the NZ Armoured Corps headdress and hat badges.
The collection you have acquired is worth researching further, especially the Australian ribbon bar set.

I am thinking that if you obtained them directly from the son then it would be advisable to apply for the fathers service records.

Brent

Ironside410 23-12-18 01:14 AM

Hello Brett

Thanks for your comments, there will be quiet a few avenues of inquiry to follow once I get all the info from the family in the new year.

If anything interesting comes up I will let you know.

Dennis

Quicksilver 23-12-18 09:57 AM

Always good to see this sort of collection. I can not add any thing myself to your questions But I did ask Malcolm Thomas, who is an expert on NZ badges and patches, about the metal tank badge. He says "I can confirm that over the past 10 years quite a few hand made NZ Armoured cap badges have been turning up with crude tanks fixed on NZEF badges. the metal badge in the pic is very similar to these".
Rgds Quicksilver

Flatdog 25-12-18 05:43 AM

Hello Dennis,

The green backing should be a 'rifle' green. This was worn as a diamond, 50mm square.

RNZAC-green patch with post office red patch in centre,not to be visible beyond outside limits of badge.

QAMR-Regimental badge-green diamond only

Waikato/Wellington East Coast Sqdn-RNZAC badge,with red backing

NZ Scots- RNZAC badge-green diamond only

Personnel attached-Own corps badge no diamond. Red backing is to be used whenever the RNZAC badge is worn either as a cap or collar badge.

Red backing maintains tradition of 2 NZEF during WW2,and in honour of 4NZ Armoured Brigade.

Clay

Ironside410 25-12-18 10:20 PM

Thanks Clay, that is exactly the info I was looking for, regards Dennis

Lancer 17 26-12-18 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironside410 (Post 462752)
Hello Mike

Attached are pics of the other items.

I didn't include the stable belt as it is just the standard Black Watch stable belt which was worn by the NZ Scottish.

The book is called The Tanks and is the unofficial history of the Third NZ Tank Squadron in the Pacific Theatre.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

If this is a Kiwi group do you have any idea why the last medal in the medal group is an Australian (WW2) Service Medal, the recipients name, number and unit should be impressed into the medals rim.

Regards

Phil.

Ironside410 26-12-18 04:43 AM

Hello Phil
All the items come from one New Zealander, except for the medal group which is from his brother who served in the Australian Army. Still waiting on all details from the family before I start to gather the histories of the individuals.

Dennis