British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Pewter Tankard (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80462)

William 24-08-20 03:41 PM

Pewter Tankard

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this very nice 1872 one-pint pewter tankard, from a shop in London.

WLRV
PRIVATE E SEYMOUR
WINNER OF THE
GRAHAM CHALLENGE CUP

Anyone got any idea what WLRV stands for? West London Rifle Volunteers?

Many thanks for any pointers.

All the best to all

William

mike_vee 24-08-20 05:02 PM

Sorry can't help , the only 1872 Challenge Cup I know of is this one :

"The 1872 Cup – also known as the 1872 Challenge Cup – is a men's rugby union tournament contested every year between the two Scottish professional clubs Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh Rugby."

1872 Challenge Cup

Mike H 24-08-20 05:32 PM

West Lothian ?

mike_vee 24-08-20 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 520422)
West Lothian ?

That might cover Edinburgh and Western Lanarkshire could cover Glasgow :confused:

Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers

Buttonman 24-08-20 08:14 PM

newspapers.com comes up with this from the Morning Post, London 20/12/1870,

West London Rifle Volunteers, "Sergeant W. Saul who has three consecutive times won the Graham Challenge Cup". Unfortunately that is as far as I can get on that site as I don't have a subscription.

The units full title was 4th [West London Rifles] Middlesex Volunteers and the Graham Challenge Cup must have been for shooting.

David.

manchesters 24-08-20 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttonman (Post 520451)

West London Rifle Volunteers, "Sergeant W. Saul who has three consecutive times won the Graham Challenge Cup". Unfortunately that is as far as I can get on that site as I don't have a subscription.

The units full title was 4th [West London Rifles] Middlesex Volunteers and the Graham Challenge Cup must have been for shooting.

David.

Well done David, I tried and failed.

regards

Buttonman 24-08-20 08:53 PM

Thanks Simon,

Regards,

David.

kingsley 25-08-20 01:30 AM

Another regiment to add to the long list of pre-1880 Rifle Volunteers around the empire, unresearched and almost unknown.

William 25-08-20 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttonman (Post 520451)

David.

Gem! Thanks for the good research, David.

Also thanks to everyone for all the comments.

Problem solved, I think.

All the best

William

Fatherofthree 25-08-20 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 520471)
Another regiment to add to the long list of pre-1880 Rifle Volunteers around the empire, unresearched and almost unknown.

Greetings.

Certainly not unresearched and definitely not almost unknown.

I have a few badges to them and if you can get the opportunity to have a look at Ray Westlake's book, "Tracing The rifle Volunteers", there is a substantial paragraph relating to them.

Precis: Formed as one company,1859, joined 1st Admin Battalion June 1860, 1861, amalgamated with 7th Corps, West London added to the title in 1864.

Some members fought in South Africa with The CIV and in 1908 became 13th battalion London Regiment.

Regards.

Brian

kingsley 25-08-20 11:52 PM

Never seen the Westlake book. Does he have a list of Rifle Vols regiments in UK?

manchesters 26-08-20 09:51 AM

I agree with Brian, a very well known unit.

The difficulty with identifying it was the use of the unofficial title of WLRV rather than 4th [West London Rifles] Middlesex Volunteers.

regards

Fatherofthree 26-08-20 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 520567)
Never seen the Westlake book. Does he have a list of Rifle Vols regiments in UK?

Greetings.

Indeed it does, County by County, England, Scotland and Wales.

If you have an interest in these units, a very worthwhile book.

Regards.

Brian.