British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RAF Wings for ID (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80931)

Shiny 23-09-20 08:39 PM

RAF Wings for ID

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I know nothing about RAF badges but I'm after a set of pilot's wings for a display I'm trying to put together.

Given the prices I've seen these go for compared to the amount I paid and because they are attached to the material (which I know you shouldn't buy when you can't see the back) I'm assuming these are fake however I thought I'd ask just in case I've hit lucky.

Can anyone help? Are they real or fake?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

RCAF_Mike 23-09-20 08:47 PM

You are correct, a fake

Pembird 23-09-20 08:48 PM

Wings

As you correctly assumed Shiny, these are indeed reproduction aged wings.

Shiny 23-09-20 08:49 PM

Thanks Mike and Pembird,

I thought as much, are they horrendously obvious fakes?

I was going to buy a repro set but thought these looked better to my untrained eye?

Michael

Frank Kelley 24-09-20 07:20 AM

Why don't you simply just buy an original?:confused:

Shiny 24-09-20 07:33 AM

Cost.

I'd love to get a genuine set of wings and pilot's KC cap badge to put with a set of medals but I can afford it.

This was a quarter of the price of a real set of wings.

Michael

Pembird 24-09-20 04:22 PM

Shiny, they are not horrendous wings and only people that deal with them on a regular basis would notice some discrepancies in the design and thickness of the thread used so worry not!

Shiny 24-09-20 05:08 PM

That's great, thanks a lot Pembird.

Michael

Frank Kelley 27-09-20 04:53 PM

Okay, what time period are you looking at and when you say "pilots" kc cap badge, which badge are you looking for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 523661)
Cost.

I'd love to get a genuine set of wings and pilot's KC cap badge to put with a set of medals but I can afford it.

This was a quarter of the price of a real set of wings.

Michael

Shiny 27-09-20 05:19 PM

Hi Frank,

My relative was a hurricane pilot in WW2, a Flt Lt.

I'd like to put a set of wings, a cap badge (the type worn on an SD cap) and a set of medals in a frame with his photo but as much as I want to use the real items, unless I strike really lucky I just can't afford them.

Michael

Frank Kelley 27-09-20 06:33 PM

Well if he was flying from here before D Day the most expensive item would be an Air Crew Europe Star, certainly not cheap and never have been, thirty odd quid back in the seventies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 523948)
Hi Frank,

My relative was a hurricane pilot in WW2, a Flt Lt.

I'd like to put a set of wings, a cap badge (the type worn on an SD cap) and a set of medals in a frame with his photo but as much as I want to use the real items, unless I strike really lucky I just can't afford them.

Michael