British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ww2 metal para badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67551)

HamandJam 20-04-18 10:37 AM

ww2 metal para badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Chaps,

Can anyone tell me more about this badge? I assume it is from a parachute company similar to the GQ badges.

A member of Dutch detachment 2ndSAS is seen wearing it above his right breast pocket. I also heard some Belgian 5thSAS may have worn them.

Cheers

JB

Paul Spellman 20-04-18 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JB,
I have an enamelled Wings although a bit different to yours, I had them down as sweetheart badges,could you post the photo of it being worn please.
Paul

HamandJam 20-04-18 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Paul,

See attached.

JB
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 441522)
JB,
I have an enamelled Wings although a bit different to yours, I had them down as sweetheart badges,could you post the photo of it being worn please.
Paul

Paul Spellman 20-04-18 12:10 PM

JB
They are great pictures, thankyou for showing. Your example with the white canopy certainly seems the similar. It may have been worn as an interim measure before he got some cloth wings. The GQ, Irwin and other parachute companies usually have their name or initials on.
Paul

HamandJam 20-04-18 12:39 PM

Paul,
On another pic he wore the standard UK para cloth wing on the right arm so not sure if it is interim. Belgian SAS also wore GQ badges on there breast pocket.

Cheers
JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 441527)
JB
They are great pictures, thankyou for showing. Your example with the white canopy certainly seems the similar. It may have been worn as an interim measure before he got some cloth wings. The GQ, Irwin and other parachute companies usually have their name or initials on.
Paul

Mike B 20-04-18 04:54 PM

Very nice items and great to see the images - great context
Mike

Frank Kelley 21-04-18 07:11 AM

Very nice indeed, it appears to be a wartime brooch, these certainly were worn, on occasion by soldiers and your photograph is another that confirms this beyond doubt.
Does it have a crude sheet metal catch/hook and hinge with the pin bent into a triangular shape through it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamandJam (Post 441517)
Hi Chaps,

Can anyone tell me more about this badge? I assume it is from a parachute company similar to the GQ badges.

A member of Dutch detachment 2ndSAS is seen wearing it above his right breast pocket. I also heard some Belgian 5thSAS may have worn them.

Cheers

JB

leigh kitchen 21-04-18 07:16 AM

Having searched magazines on and off for a good few hours yesterday I've just found what I was looking for in Crown Imperial 86 of Spring 1997 ("Bits & Pieces" by Peter Taylor, Pages 12 & 13).
A photo of what looks to be the badge in the first post, (showing the same slightly "bent" segment at the bottom of the shrouds), "This is sometimes taken to be a sweetheart brooch. In fact, it was worn by the British sergeants of 44th Indian Airborne. The wings are pale blue and the parachute is white. It was never an official issue, but was worn from 1945 to 1947".

Frank Kelley 21-04-18 07:22 AM

I wonder where he gained that information from, it is at odds with the photograph in the third post, given that it shows a Dutch SAS soldier?
It is certainly my belief that they are simply brooches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 441569)
Having searched magazines on and off for a good few hours yesterday I've just found what I was looking for in Crown Imperial 86 of Spring 1997 ("Bits & Pieces" by Peter Taylor, Pages 12 & 13).
A photo of what looks to be the badge in the first post, (showing the same slightly "bent" segment at the bottom of the shrouds), "This is sometimes taken to be a sweetheart brooch. In fact, it was worn by the British sergeants of 44th Indian Airborne. The wings are pale blue and the parachute is white. It was never an official issue, but was worn from 1945 to 1947".

leigh kitchen 21-04-18 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 441570)
I wonder where he gained that information from, it is at odds with the photograph in the third post, given that it shows a Dutch SAS soldier?
It is certainly my belief that they are simply brooches.

No idea, I just knew that I'd seen the badge somewhere before, I was surprised at its identification in the magazine given the photo you mention.

Frank Kelley 21-04-18 08:01 AM

Yes, but, given this particular author, I would be very sceptical anyway, to say that it is "taken" to be a brooch, suggests it is not, but, was worn by "sergeants" in 44, if it was not "issue" who were they made for and why?
Did the "sergeants" just go out and buy them, if so, where from and who else bought them?
All it does is make this sort of thing a lot more expensive than it should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 441573)
No idea, I just knew that I'd seen the badge somewhere before, I was surprised at its identification in the magazine given the photo you mention.

HamandJam 21-04-18 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it does JB.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 441568)
Very nice indeed, it appears to be a wartime brooch, these certainly were worn, on occasion by soldiers and your photograph is another that confirms this beyond doubt.
Does it have a crude sheet metal catch/hook and hinge with the pin bent into a triangular shape through it?

ossteve 21-04-18 01:27 PM

re: metal para badge

JB,
Interesting wing. I have one as well. See attached photo of SOE Agent "Pauline" Pearl Witherington, wearing the same, taken 1946.
best,
Steve

https://comestepbackintime.files.wor...ruary-1946.jpg

Frank Kelley 21-04-18 03:24 PM

Okay, I thought it would and again, very nice indeed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamandJam (Post 441586)
Yes it does JB.

HamandJam 22-04-18 05:47 AM

Great picture Steve, so there is also an SOE connection! Cheers JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossteve (Post 441588)
JB,
Interesting wing. I have one as well. See attached photo of SOE Agent "Pauline" Pearl Witherington, wearing the same, taken 1946.
best,
Steve

https://comestepbackintime.files.wor...ruary-1946.jpg