British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Hampshire & Isle of Wight Territorials (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76204)

Neil1689 28-11-19 04:33 PM

Hampshire & Isle of Wight Territorials

1 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon, in my quest for all things Wessex Volunteers / Regiment I came across a booklet entitled 'All about A'
It's a document that would be given to recruits and is the history of A (Duke of Connaught's) Company 2nd Battalion The Wessex Regiment 1971 to 1973.
I have read previous posts about the Territorials that formed the 2nd Battalion and their cap badges. Thought I would share this with you.
Still not got to grips with thumbnails, so hope you can read it.
Regards Neil

grey_green_acorn 28-11-19 05:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Neil, no doubt you have them already but for Forum Members here are the collar badges referred to in the document:

Tim

MarkGD 28-11-19 05:41 PM

Neil, thanks for sharing that, appreciated, don't suppose anyone has an image of the shoulder title? Regards Mark

grey_green_acorn 28-11-19 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These TAVR III units announced in 1967 were short lived and reduced to a cadre or gone by 1969/1970 I wonder if the cloth title for Battle Dress was ever made and worn?
For completeness see https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=Isle+Wight

Tim

Neil1689 28-11-19 07:04 PM

Thanks for your replies, Winchester is only 40 minutes from me so may be a visit to the Local newspaper to see if they have photographs of the event in their archives.
Neil

Mike H 28-11-19 07:08 PM

I think there is a cloth one,red "Wessex " on navy blue. Not sure if this was to a certain battalion or regiment wide.
There is a metal gold coloured Wessex ,solid ,with a black background ,again this could well be to a certain battalion.

bess55 28-11-19 07:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's my understanding that the small brass titles are as follows:-

Black background - 1st Bn
Blue background - 2nd Bn

Thank you for posting that leaflet as it has been discussed here I believe that the E Coy 'dog guage' was never worn (as Tim's post above) a but it would appear they were indeed.

Regards all

Bess

grey_green_acorn 28-11-19 08:20 PM

White lettering on red “WESSEX” and “WESSEX REGT” embroidered shoulder titles are seen in Films of the 1950s and 60s (e.g. Privates Progress). Also an early TV episode of The Avengers. All long before the TA Wessex Volunteers were formed.

Tim

The Quartermaster 30-11-19 06:15 PM

Wessex Embroidered Cloth Shoulder Title

1 Attachment(s)
I sold one some time ago item 54629 on my site image attached here for information cheers Mike (The Quartermaster) www.qmsmilitaria.com

oc14 30-11-19 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quartermaster (Post 493661)
I sold one some time ago item 54629 on my site image attached here for information cheers Mike (The Quartermaster) www.qmsmilitaria.com

I may well be wrong (it has been known before !) but that has more of a Red Cross look to it in my opinion

PL

Mike H 01-12-19 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quartermaster (Post 493661)

That's the Wessex volunteers cloth title that I was referring to in another recent post.

fairlie63 01-12-19 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 493702)
That's the Wessex volunteers cloth title that I was referring to in another recent post.

HQ Battery 457 (Wessex) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment RA(TA) to 1964 courtesy of Jon Mills Badges on Battledress II, and introduced circa 1957 according to Norman Litchfield The Territorial Artillery 1908-1988.

Keith

Neil1689 01-12-19 06:53 PM

Thanks for all your posts, will try and get down to the Hampshire Chronicle to see if they have any photographs of the issuing of badges to the H& IOW Territorials. Not before Christmas though.
Regards to all Neil