British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   To all owners of east Anglian brigade large other ranks cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74781)

norfolk regt man 01-08-19 09:44 PM

To all owners of east Anglian brigade large other ranks cap badge

Hi all, if you own one great, if it has four rivet holes and not two, can you tell me the makers name thanks all.

Holyboy 02-08-19 12:25 PM

East Anglian

Hi Andrew not sure if this is helpful but mine has 3 rivets JR Gaunt London

Regards

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 02-08-19 12:32 PM

Hi, mine has 3 friction pegs (north, east and west) and is Gaunt B'Ham. Having checked in 'No Bull' (Chris's book on A/A Badges) there are only 3 manufacturers listed: Buttons Ltd, George Tye & Co, and J R Gaunt & Sons Ltd. Hope this helps. Regards Steve

Mike H 02-08-19 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Supt Clk RAOC (Post 485140)
Hi, mine has 3 friction pegs (north, east and west) and is Gaunt B'Ham. Having checked in 'No Bull' (Chris's book on A/A Badges) there are only 3 manufacturers listed: Buttons Ltd, George Tye & Co, and J R Gaunt & Sons Ltd. Hope this helps. Regards Steve

The one piece badge has a blank slider but wont have pegs .

norfolk regt man 02-08-19 05:08 PM

Hi all, thanks for your input, but it’s just the 4 riveted type I need info on.

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 03-08-19 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 485182)
The one piece badge has a blank slider but wont have pegs .

Mike, my badge is two piece but what you refer to as 'rivets' I know as friction pegs. Difference of terminology perhaps but being a novice I used the terms which Chris Marsh uses in his book to describe how two piece badges are put together by the manufacturer and so I quote:

Chapter 10 - page 100 FRICTION FIT PEGS... Multi-part badges needed to be assembled and permanently held together. The main method used by the manufacturers of anodised aluminium badges was the use of friction fit pegs. Friction fit pegs were round and integral to the top piece of the multi part badge with the lower part having the same number of receiving holes. After assembly the peg could be left 'as is', crowned with a punch or crimped into place. Crowning and crimping helped keep the badge's body arts together if a degree of slackness existed between the friction peg and its receiving hold.

As I say just a difference in terminology, but I do know a two piece badge from a one piece and mine is two piece with 3 friction pegs (or rivets if you prefer)

Regards
Steve

leigh kitchen 03-08-19 10:53 AM

I think Mike (who made no mention of rivets, that was Holyboy) was merely adding info. that the single piece badges have unmarked sliders rather than "challenging"what was already posted concerning the friction pegged / rivetted varieties.
Is that the case, the single piece badges are only known with unmarked sliders?

leigh kitchen 03-08-19 10:59 AM

I have only the unmarked single piece badge and the N/W/E friction pegged Gaunt varieties.

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:13 PM

Thanks Steve, friction pegs it is.

So just to recap; has anyone got an example of an East Anglian brigade anodized cap badge with four friction pegs on the back, if so, who's maker name is stamp on the slider. The reason I would like to know is that I have the dies to make this badge, the die has four holes, and the castle blank has four friction pegs, which is uncommon, so the name on a slider MAY tell me the die owner.

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 485252)
I have only the unmarked single piece badge and the N/W/E friction pegged Gaunt varieties.

thanks leigh for you help

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyboy (Post 485138)
Hi Andrew not sure if this is helpful but mine has 3 rivets JR Gaunt London

Regards

thanks for your help

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 485251)
I think Mike (who made no mention of rivets, that was Holyboy) was merely adding info. that the single piece badges have unmarked sliders rather than "challenging"what was already posted concerning the friction pegged / rivetted varieties.
Is that the case, the single piece badges are only known with unmarked sliders?

I am not sure if that is the case, it may well be , a bit of research , using this post should answer that very good question.

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 485252)

nice clear and informative post, Thanks andrew

norfolk regt man 03-08-19 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Supt Clk RAOC (Post 485140)

Thanks for this

norfolk regt man 21-11-19 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have found a four friction pegs badge, made by tye & co. Thanks for all your help.