British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post Office Rifles - 'rare branding' (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19246)

Peter J 08-09-11 09:07 PM

Post Office Rifles - 'rare branding'

2 Attachment(s)
Reference to the badge below cropped up in this thread some time ago, over issues relating to 'rare brandings'.

Attachment 48535Attachment 48536

Given my interest in the London Regiment, I thought it might be a useful badge to acquire for reference purposes, if nothing else.

Three points, if I may:
  1. Peter Doyle, and Chris Foster, have a very simliar PO Rifles badge in their 'British Army Cap Badges of the First World War', in that the crown is unvoided
  2. Do other members have examples of other 'Charles Reeves' badges in their collections?
  3. Comments on the badge very welcome, as always
With thanks,

Peter

Keith Blakeman 08-09-11 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 131809)
Reference to the badge below cropped up in this thread some time ago, over issues relating to 'rare brandings'.

Attachment 48535Attachment 48536

Given my interest in the London Regiment, I thought it might be an useful badge to acquire for reference purposes, if nothing else.

Two points, if I may:
  1. Peter Doyle, and Chris Foster, have a very simliar PO Rifles badge in their 'British Army Cap Badges of the First World War', in that the crown is unvoided
  2. Do other members have examples of other 'Charles Reeves' badges in their collections?
  3. Comments on the badge very welcome, as always
With thanks,

Peter

I can say I'm blown away with it Peter. I don't like un-voided crowns on any London badge and these 'minor maker' stamps always get the alarm bells ringing. Whilst many a small firm may have made buttons, etc there are far to many dubious brands around, Butler, BP & Co., Gladman & Norman, W (arrow) D, Jennens, and these are often seen on obvious copies. I've said on here before all of a sudden a new crop of these badges come onto the market usually but not always on rare items.

Charlie585 08-09-11 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 131811)
I can say I'm blown away with it Peter. I don't like un-voided crowns on any London badge and these 'minor maker' stamps always get the alarm bells ringing. Whilst many a small firm may have made buttons, etc there are far to many dubious brands around, Butler, BP & Co., Gladman & Norman, W (arrow) D, Jennens, and these are often seen on obvious copies. I've said on here before all of a sudden a new crop of these badges come onto the market usually but not always on rare items.

Only a thought but could Charles Reeves have been a Gentlemen's Outfitters, making the badge a private purchase item? Probably miles out of course!

Ry

LONGSHANKS 08-09-11 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Peter, I have to agree with keith on this one that just from the front I'm not liking the "8th" on the top tablet. I can't comment on the makers mark as I'm not that conversant with them. I attached mine to show the clearer tablet font on mine.

Simon.

Peter J 08-09-11 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keith, Ry, Simon,

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Always appreciated.

Since Simon was kind enough to post a good badge for comparison, I thought the least I could do is to provide a good one of my own. The differences are clear!

Reeves example on left:

Attachment 48543

Regards,

Peter

LONGSHANKS 08-09-11 10:31 PM

As always Peter, my pleasure.

Simon

Charlie585 08-09-11 10:36 PM

Here's mine on the left, on loops. Next to my 7th London Collar badge.

Ry

Peter J 08-09-11 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie585 (Post 131824)
Here's mine on the left, on loops. Next to my 7th London Collar badge.

Ry

Yeah... now you're just showboating!

;):D

Charlie585 08-09-11 11:07 PM

Lol PJ,

I have shown it on here before mate.

I would treat you to some new badge pics but it's all in limbo at the moment due to some of them needing repairs and my best camera being out of action:mad:

Anyway, as for showboating, I heard that you were changing your name to "TEL" after landing yet another pre 1905 KRRC this week:D

Ry

Peter J 08-09-11 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie585 (Post 131829)
Lol PJ,

I have shown it on here before mate.

I would treat you to some new badge pics but it's all in limbo at the moment due to some of them needing repairs and my best camera being out of action:mad:

Anyway, as for showboating, I heard that you were changing your name to "TEL" after landing yet another pre 1905 KRRC this week:D

Ry

:D:D

Alan O 09-09-11 05:32 AM

I had an identical badge (without the named slider) with a solid crwon and it was an old repro imo.

fougasse1940 09-09-11 03:45 PM

Charles Reeves is known as a London based button maker, marked "C REEVES & CO".

Rgds,

Thomas.

Keith Blakeman 09-09-11 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 131826)
Yeah... now you're just showboating!

;):D

7th London collar post 1922 actually, (sorry to be pedantic) and I have a pair.:rolleyes:

orasot 09-09-11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 131917)
7th London collar post 1922 actually, (sorry to be pedantic) and I have a pair.:rolleyes:

You won't have if your other half finds those Bosleys receipts :D
Wilf

Charlie585 09-09-11 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 131917)

Hi Keith,

Yes, post 1922 of course:rolleyes:;)

I know I'm not worthy mate:o but until you start showboating, one is all we are going to get!

I do miss your albums:(

Regards

Ry:D