British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Question about anodised South Wales Borderers badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40700)

L1A1 19-07-14 03:07 PM

Question about anodised South Wales Borderers badge
 
Hi All

I was just looking at C.R Cunliffe's excellent anodised badge collection on his website when I saw a picture of an anodised SWB cap badge. Underneath the caption it stated that it was an unofficial commission.

My particular interest in this badge is that I am currently putting together a collection of British Army badges for the year 1968 (September to be exact - month of my birthday).

The South Wales Borderers were still in existence at this time, so what I would like confirmation of is, what cap badge did they wear at this time? Until I saw the badge website, I thought that they wore this anodised badge but now I am guessing they might have still been wearing the Welsh Brigade badge until they became part of the Royal Regiment of Wales.

Any information would be most appreciated

regards

Ron

49lassiepen 19-07-14 03:42 PM

Not sure about unofficial ,was worn by the cadets Dowler marked I have photo kindly supplied by Eddie from his research at N.A.M into Mons and S.W.B Card of insignia worn by cadets I do not think the regulars wore the a/a badge Many of my patients used to be ex S.W.B and they all stated that they went from BI/M to the brigade badge
David

Mike H 19-07-14 03:44 PM

There is a marked version of the SWB badge. They are made by Dowler Bham.

49lassiepen 19-07-14 03:50 PM

I think the unmarked examples were made/commissioned by a certain gent in the 1970;s As Chris said should have been 1980 ,s

L1A1 19-07-14 04:25 PM

Thank you Lassiepen49 and Mike H, what you have stated sounds like the most logical option. Good in a way too, I have seen how much those anodised SWB badges go for on the net, all I can say is ouch!!!!

Mike H 19-07-14 06:26 PM

It could be that if the cadets wore the a/a badge then they probaly wore it well after the regular battalion had been amalgamated. That being the case the unmarked versions could well have been worn by the cadets after the marked versions had been exhausted. As people like badger have stated some Y&L cadets wore the cap badge long after the regulars had gone .This could well apply to the SWB too.
Related to this,a certain CCF now wear their own badge again. The commander owns the badge dies and are marked firmin .

Mike H 19-07-14 06:32 PM

From evidence it appears that the only marked versions were made by Dowler. No other marked examples have been identified.

49lassiepen 19-07-14 06:33 PM

Mike will try and find photo of the insignia of the S W B cadets a/a badge Dowler marked clearly shown

hagwalther 20-07-14 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L1A1 (Post 270471)
Hi All

I was just looking at C.R Cunliffe's excellent anodised badge collection on his website when I saw a picture of an anodised SWB cap badge. Underneath the caption it stated that it was an unofficial commission.

My particular interest in this badge is that I am currently putting together a collection of British Army badges for the year 1968 (September to be exact - month of my birthday).

The South Wales Borderers were still in existence at this time, so what I would like confirmation of is, what cap badge did they wear at this time? Until I saw the badge website, I thought that they wore this anodised badge but now I am guessing they might have still been wearing the Welsh Brigade badge until they became part of the Royal Regiment of Wales.

Any information would be most appreciated

regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

The example that Chris is showing is an unofficial commission that was made by Gaunt probably in the late 1980's after being commission to do so by a dodgy dealer who flogged them off from his stall in the Arches at Charing Cross for 25 quid a pop.

The authentic badge was officially authorised and was priced, on on 25th November 1966, at 5 shillings and 3 pennies each. The example to obtain is the one made by Dowler and this is the one found on the standard pattern cards dated the 8th April 1964.

All this info is in my book with an example on page 271.

Regards

Chris

41st 20-07-14 09:40 AM

I have been told by curators at the SWB museum who served in the SWB that the anodised badges were worn only by the cadets. Only repeating what I've been told mind.

As to what cadets wore and what the regulars wore I can say that when I was a cadet in the 70s we wore the old Welsh Brigade badge whereas the regulars were badged as RRW.

Hwyl,
Kevin

Mike H 20-07-14 10:27 AM

The term "cadets" covers a vast spectrum of possibilities. Could be ACF or CCF,i wouldn't have a clue how many units that would have covered in the SWB area. Saying that though the could have been an out of the local area affiliation eg :- Wellington College Berkshire wearing the DWR cap badge for a period of time in the mid nineties.

L1A1 20-07-14 01:23 PM

Thanks Chris

Your book is on the top of my list of future book purchases!

eddie 20-07-14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 270511)
Mike will try and find photo of the insignia of the S W B cadets a/a badge Dowler marked clearly shown

Hi,
The insignia of the SWB cadets, just up dated my album.
Eddie

hagwalther 20-07-14 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L1A1 (Post 270608)
Thanks Chris

Your book is on the top of my list of future book purchases!

Thanks L1A1,

Just let me know when you want a copy and I'll get one off to you.

There is more info in the book regarding this badge and it was also authorised to another unit - don't want to give too much away...

Regards

Chris

hagwalther 20-07-14 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 270563)
Hi Ron,

The example that Chris is showing is an unofficial commission that was made by Gaunt probably in the late 1980's after being commission to do so by a dodgy dealer who flogged them off from his stall in the Arches at Charing Cross for 25 quid a pop.

The authentic badge was officially authorised and was priced, on on 25th November 1966, at 5 shillings and 3 pennies each. The example to obtain is the one made by Dowler and this is the one found on the standard pattern cards dated the 8th April 1964.

All this info is in my book with an example on page 271.

Regards

Chris


Hi Guys,

Sorry - I am going to correct myself here. If Chris' website is showing a Dowler example of the South Wales Borderers cap badge then it is an officially authorised piece and his website should reflect this fact. However, if it is an unmarked example with a slider attributed to Gaunt then my comments stand.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Regards

Chris


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.