British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Plastic or Metal buckles on caps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49436)

Tigerlily 07-11-15 07:01 PM

Plastic or Metal buckles on caps

Can anyone please tell me when plastic as opposed to metal buckles were introduced in British caps? have a bit of a collection, mainly Guards, and all fairly modern just wondered?
Thanks
Alli

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 07:07 PM

I saw some British police caps with usual plastic strap but with black plastic buckles instead of metal about 10-12 years ago, but I haven't seen army caps with plastic buckles

Tigerlily 07-11-15 07:13 PM

It's a sort of rubbery plastic but the majority are metal.
And what about leather chinstraps, when were they phased out?

54Bty 07-11-15 07:19 PM

I had leather and metal in the late 1960s, with a tall wired cap, then when I had to have a new (soft) cap in the 1970s it came with a plastic strap and buckles.

Marc

Tigerlily 07-11-15 07:27 PM

That's interesting Marc, probably my oldest cap dates from 1978 and is a Household Cavalry khaki, buttoned to Life Guards with a leather strap and metal buckle.

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 07:46 PM

Different situation with the khaki SD caps I suppose, brown straps (same width?) with brass fittings as opposed to the black straps with blackened metal fittings.
I've never seen, as in never bought, an army cap with plastic strap buckles, they're new to me.

Tigerlily 07-11-15 07:50 PM

Hang on this involves climbing to check....

Tigerlily 07-11-15 07:55 PM

Black strap but brass coloured buckles, width is about the same I guess.

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 330355)
Hang on this involves climbing to check....

Try not to land on the caps when you fall.

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 330358)
Black strap but brass coloured buckles, width is about the same I guess.

My mistake? I was thinking SD for HC would be brown.
But brass buckles, considered less practical to replace with plastic? I don't know whether cavalry caps would have an inner strap for wear on the chin or whether plastic buckles would not be considered suitable on straps that would be adjusted to different lengths.

Tigerlily 07-11-15 08:04 PM

If I fall I'll land on a dog or a bottle of Jack Daniels, no caps harmed. Wearing the khaki cap at the moment.
I have a police helmet, shall I climb back up and check the strap?

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 08:06 PM

Oh, and to avoid the problem - ditch the Guardsmen's caps and collect Fusiliers berets...
... no chinstraps to worry about.

Tigerlily 07-11-15 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 330361)
My mistake? I was thinking SD for HC would be brown.
But brass buckles, considered less practical to replace with plastic? I don't know whether cavalry caps would have an inner strap for wear on the chin or whether plastic buckles would not be considered suitable on straps that would be adjusted to different lengths.

No inner strap on the Khaki....

leigh kitchen 07-11-15 08:13 PM

Wear the.helmet in case you fall - and save the JD at all costs.
Interesting that the plastic buckled straps are right for the past 30 -40 odd years. I never knew that, I'm surprised
The only buckle variation I've come across is the use of a small rectangular static metal fitting replacing one of the buckles so that only that one buckle is adjustable.

Tigerlily 07-11-15 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 330363)
Oh, and to avoid the problem - ditch the Guardsmen's caps and collect Fusiliers berets...
... no chinstraps to worry about.

I have a fusiliers beret dear, awfully fond of the elegant extracts, but no not ditching my Guards caps :p