British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1941 Drum S.A.S. Device with 22nd & 23rd (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74907)

billy 12-08-19 09:20 PM

1941 Drum S.A.S. Device with 22nd & 23rd

Hi everyone! Have a request regarding a Drum! Yep! a Drum - 1941 (Broad Arrow) on top of which you now have a Special Air Service Winged Who Dares Wins Sword, to left 22nd, to right 23rd bottom S.A.S.Center

A presentation gift to a retiring member (have a name and checking it out) this is Mint but as to a value am at a loss? What would an item like this be going for? Price asked is quite high?

All the best Billy

engr9266 13-08-19 08:52 AM

Billy, It "beats" me :D

Lets see if you can "drum" up some replies........

matti467 13-08-19 09:07 AM

Drums go for good money. Drums for certain regiments carry a premium. Four figures minimum in my limited and humble opinion.

billy 13-08-19 11:28 AM

Jerry! Stop bangin the drum and act your age!!

Matti Old Drum 1941 (sourced for this particular year?) Actually for a completely different reason will check out his date of birth!
Don't know enough, seen them never looked at prices or if I did didn't register, will post photo's Friday / Saturday, its really nice and immaculate so not old, perhaps going back to the 80,s ish! And looked after, no point asking a guide price till people including yourself have seen it! Also comes with some other bits and bobs, thanks for now billy

matti467 13-08-19 11:30 AM

Pleasure Billy. side/snare drums often go for £400 plus

49lassiepen 13-08-19 12:57 PM

Wiltshire regiment recently sold for less than £100 can't find it on my watched list but I think final price was about £60.00 Never seen 1 before for sale ,but got distracted and forgot to bid-kicking my self
David

JerryBB 13-08-19 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 486004)
Hi everyone! Have a request regarding a Drum! Yep! a Drum - 1941 (Broad Arrow) on top of which you now have a Special Air Service Winged Who Dares Wins Sword, to left 22nd, to right 23rd bottom S.A.S.Center

A presentation gift to a retiring member (have a name and checking it out) this is Mint but as to a value am at a loss? What would an item like this be going for? Price asked is quite high?

All the best Billy

Have you got pics?

unless I am mistaken SAS 22 & 23 did not exist in 1941?

Prices for SAS stuff are think of a number and treble it....

Slinky Cat 13-08-19 04:31 PM

the date of the drum has nothing to do with what insignia is applied as this would have been added later

billy 13-08-19 08:49 PM

Hi Jerry not at present but hopefully Friday, 1941 Date stamp I believe that was also his date of birth, so nice touch if intended, the paintwork was really good (would or could this have been by means of a transfer?) Will look more closely when I go to see it again, brush strokes would show up?

Whatever it is for sale and out of my reach, no point me mentioning what he asked because I don't wish to cloud people's judgement on it! Need to get pictures so as to show it, if he ends up keeping it, it's worth going round to take the pictures and we all share a nice article!

All the best Billy

JerryBB 14-08-19 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 486079)
Hi Jerry not at present but hopefully Friday, 1941 Date stamp I believe that was also his date of birth, so nice touch if intended, the paintwork was really good (would or could this have been by means of a transfer?) Will look more closely when I go to see it again, brush strokes would show up?

Whatever it is for sale and out of my reach, no point me mentioning what he asked because I don't wish to cloud people's judgement on it! Need to get pictures so as to show it, if he ends up keeping it, it's worth going round to take the pictures and we all share a nice article!

All the best Billy

I ask because such things interest me, not because the date is wrong, it was merely an observation.

If you can share a pic, that would be great.

platypus44 15-08-19 08:30 AM

it sounds like a great piece Billy, i cannot wait to see it! I would be interested myself but it sounds like it ghgas found a good home, with provenance pprice from 100 to 1000 quid i guess

billy 16-08-19 10:27 AM

Drum for 22nd & 23rd S.A.S.

10 Attachment(s)
Here is the Drum, looks really good, also on discharge from the SAS he went to the Duke of Lancaster Rgt as there is a wooden hat box with the SAS Winged Sword "Who Dares Wins" with his name, there is also Service Documentation - paperwork for Military Service, postings, courses and such. No need to show this or if I should really!

All the best billy

Slinky Cat 16-08-19 10:45 AM

Looks like a lovely item but surely more of a retirement piece or display piece that wasn’t actually made to be used?

matti467 16-08-19 10:47 AM

Premier Drums were / are a well known maker in Leicester, South Wigston until the factory went out of use and is niw a Wickes and or Aldi/Lidl

billy 16-08-19 11:26 AM

Leaving gift, nice! can't see it getting used and if scratched!!!!

The Hat box? If this iscwhat it iscis nice, and heavy!