British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RND cap badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18570)

whizzbang 02-03-08 10:24 AM

I have 2 RND badges. I would be interested to hear the forum's comments. I believe they are the real thing but neither is maker marked.

There must have been a number of makers - many Canadian CEF (WW1) badges have several makers and can be found in several different metals, different lugs and even different patterns.

Cheers, Ian.

TRT 02-05-08 09:08 AM

Any experts going to comment? Is it accepted that every RND badge should have a Gaunt plate?

Regards

TRT

Alan O 02-05-08 09:14 AM

I am not an expert on RND but I am afraid that opinions on these are difficult as they have been almost professionally faked. I once had a voided Howe badge with a Gaunt plate that was an exceptional copy.

I can see nothing wrong with these by the way.

Alan

TRT 02-05-08 09:39 AM

I have a Nelson badge with the loops north / south as opposed to east/west. No Gaunt plate and different lines on sails to the one in this thread. The stress marks on the sails are on either side indicating how the wind is billowing the sails. Will try and post image soon.

Any initial comments though?

Thanks

TRT

Alan O 02-05-08 09:43 AM

I have an identical badge - it has the cut out flag and the straight 'N' of Nelson as well. It is not a Gaunt badge and is either a different maker or a very old fake.

Alan

dragonz18 02-05-08 09:53 AM

Hi,
TRT,I would say that there was more than 1 (Gaunt) maker of RND badges.Though Gaunt's seem to be the major supplier with these.
Without provenence it is getting hard to say now which other variants are OK.
Not all with Gaunt plates are origionals either. It is a combination of several features together ,that will be the best guide.
I have made a bit of a study of these over the years, so post the pic & we'll see what result we can achieve.;)
Whizzbang, the pics of your's are a little unclear. Are clearer pics available?
Cheers !
Steve

TRT 02-05-08 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here we are.

TRT

Fingers crossed!

Alan O 02-05-08 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
SNAP!

Alan

whizzbang 02-05-08 06:54 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonz18 (Post 10967)
Whizzbang, the pics of your's are a little unclear. Are clearer pics available?
Cheers !
Steve

Hi Steve,
If you click on my pics they should blow up to almost too much detail. All the same, I'll try to repost using the forum's thumbnail approach.

Thanks to TRT for resurrecting this posting!

Cheers,

Ian.

Sonofacqms 02-05-08 07:11 PM

RND badges

I have a Hawke cap badge with a Gaunt plate plus the normal loops and another with flat loops, one of which had broken. I have never been able to ascertain who the other maker was.

Vincunt Evocati 11-05-08 11:08 AM

Royal naval Division

2 Attachment(s)
I should be grateful if members could give me thier opinion about this badges i've bought in 2000 in Arras

Thank in advance

Cheers

Luke H 11-05-08 12:11 PM

Real ones were lugged with gaunt plates on the back, sorry but its mickey mouse mate.

Luke

dragonz18 18-05-08 04:43 AM

Agree that it's a dud, & should always have lugs, but am fairly sure that Gaunt was not the only manufacturer of these. Though it would seem that they were the major producer.?

Cheers !
Steve

peter616 27-05-08 07:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Vincunt Evocati

here is a good photo of a good RND Nelson

Attachment 6066

Attachment 6067

peter

Alan O 27-05-08 08:39 PM

Peter,

What are your views on the stright 'N' versions - Another maker or old restrike?

Alan