British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Royal Marine Forces Volunteer Reserve (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12088)

sailorbear 24-08-10 11:46 AM

Royal Marine Forces Volunteer Reserve

Hi all, As part of my continuing research on insignia of the Commando and Amphibious forces does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Forces Volunteer Reserve cloth shoulder title or photos of it being worn?

Additionally does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Reserve (Royal Marines Commando with "R" beneath) shoulder title or the one before that which I believe was the same but with "VR" underneath.

Any info gratefully recieved

Tony

Danny 24-08-10 01:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Tony,
Attached are some scans of the “VR” and “R” titles.

I have a photo of the RMFVR cloth title but will have to dig it out and scan it. Very rare item.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 29091

Attachment 29092

Attachment 29093

Danny 24-08-10 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Tony,
Photo of the RMFVR title.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 29101

sailorbear 25-08-10 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 79756)
Hello Tony,
Photo of the RMFVR title.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 29101

Hi Danny, That is absolutely fantastic! Thank you very much

johnG 26-08-10 10:18 AM

RMFVR

Now that takes me back a bit, to the days after WW2 when the RMFVR London had an office in Finsbury Barracks, City Road, (Next to HAC , Armoury House), and pre-fab's for the club house and living quarters for a caretaker, below ground level in what was once a basement of a bombed building at the Chiswell street end of the HAC ground. The last I heard of them was in the 1960's when I believe they were at White City, London - can anybody confirm that please.

Sunray9 26-08-10 04:14 PM

RMFVR

John,

London Royal Marines Reserve are now located at Old Jamaica Road, Bermondsey. Can't remember when they moved there and unfortunately even those premises are under threat... developers, who needs them ?
:(
Ritchie.

johnG 26-08-10 04:39 PM

RMFVR

Thanks Ritchie, they do get around don't they...but then, being bootnecks they probably bend the place a bit and get moved on.......joking of course; a very fine corps. Glad to have an update on them, thanks.

seadayak 03-10-10 08:33 PM

Royal Marines Reserve

Dear Sailorbear,
I have my battledress tunic with the "R" sewn on it,I last wore it in 1970, by this time most of the RM reserve were buying their own Lovats.I on the otherhand always preferred BD.Eventually the RMR were issued with Lovats by that time I had seen the "light" and re-enlisted!
I hope this is of use to you. If you want a phot of the tunic let me know and I will let you have one.

Seadayak

sailorbear 04-10-10 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadayak (Post 84762)
Dear Sailorbear,
I have my battledress tunic with the "R" sewn on it,I last wore it in 1970, by this time most of the RM reserve were buying their own Lovats.I on the otherhand always preferred BD.Eventually the RMR were issued with Lovats by that time I had seen the "light" and re-enlisted!
I hope this is of use to you. If you want a phot of the tunic let me know and I will let you have one.

Seadayak

A photo is always very welcome! would be most gratefull Thanks

Regards Tony

Jibba Jabba 04-10-10 01:21 PM

According to the Joe Lindhurst Militaria book the brass shoulder title RMFVR was worn from 1948-64.

johnG 04-10-10 04:09 PM

RMFVR

Is there an RMFVR man here who was with them at White City, London. If so do you remember a framed text in the Adjutant's office....."I never knew an appeal to them for honour, courage, or loyalty.....etc.....". (Admiral Vincent St. Howe). I drew that goodie when I was aged fourteen, and on a visit to the RMFVR in White City, many years later, was amazed to see it hanging on the wall. The Adjutant told me he got it when RMFVR left their premises in Chiswell Street, at the bottom of the HAC ground. I had no idea what had happened to it after I penned it.

seadayak 06-10-10 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 30812[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Well as promised here is some phots of my BD the period is 1969 RMR Mersey
(The actual phots I took a few minutes ago)
For info, the crossed rifles and stars indicate Plattoon Weapons Instructor 2nd class and worn on cuff.(PWI 1st class was worn with a crown a top of rifles and above chevrons on right arm, if a C/Sgt the badge is worn bottom right cuff)
My wings I earned on a RMR course with all course reservists, and we was not required to complete a night jump.
Medal ribbands Naval General Service Medal clasp "Brunei" and Campaign Service Medal clasps "Borneo" and "N.Ireland"
Please note I do NOT indicate any Personal immodest when describing my personal details merely helping people understand the "Corps"
I hope this fills in some details.
Yours Aye
Seadayak

Unknownsoldier 06-10-10 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadayak (Post 85114)
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 30812[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Well as promised here is some phots of my BD the period is 1969 RMR Mersey
(The actual phots I took a few minutes ago)
For info, the crossed rifles and stars indicate Plattoon Weapons Instructor 2nd class and worn on cuff.(PWI 1st class was worn with a crown a top of rifles and above chevrons on right arm, if a C/Sgt the badge is worn bottom right cuff)
My wings I earned on a RMR course with all course reservists, and we was not required to complete a night jump.
Medal ribbands Naval General Service Medal clasp "Brunei" and Campaign Service Medal clasps "Borneo" and "N.Ireland"
Please note I do NOT indicate any Personal immodest when describing my personal details merely helping people understand the "Corps"
I hope this fills in some details.
Yours Aye
Seadayak

Very nice photos, nice to see a booty on here, I know a few (if you ever take a decko at the OAMAAM website, you'll know Yorkie if you do :D ).

Tom

magpie 21-02-11 01:41 PM

RMFVR

Just some bits that i picked up at the week end that all came together, i thought i would put them here rather than start a new thread.
Andy.

Dick Galley 28-10-11 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorbear (Post 79740)
Hi all, As part of my continuing research on insignia of the Commando and Amphibious forces does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Forces Volunteer Reserve cloth shoulder title or photos of it being worn?

Additionally does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Reserve (Royal Marines Commando with "R" beneath) shoulder title or the one before that which I believe was the same but with "VR" underneath.

Any info gratefully recieved

Tony

Hello Tony
I was a member of the RMFVR City of London Detachment at White City, London for four years (1963 - 1966 - Marine 1st class/ JNCO Cadre Y Coy) and a 'reg' for two (accident causing me to leave). Anyway, there was no difference in the uniform and same as worn by 'regs' but there were two insignia differences, hardly noticeable. Firstly on your No1 dress (blues) the epaulette brass or 'stay bright' insignias showed RMFVR as opposed to RM and back then when "battledress khakis' were worn (not great), the shoulder flash was like the 'regs', a single slim navy strip with Royal Marines in red but underneath that strip was a tiny square also in navy with red letters showing 'VR'. I know this is probably old hat now but that is however, all there was differentiating them both. Hope that helps. Just registered and saw your query.

Regards

Dick