British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need help to ID the writing/language (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77926)

manchesters 24-03-20 11:17 AM

Need help to ID the writing/language

1 Attachment(s)
I am struggling to ID the language on the tablet below this sphinx?

Common sense says it should read EGYPT in that language but may not.

Any help appreciated.

regards

peter monahan 24-03-20 12:39 PM

Some of the letters look Greek, but not all. Wondering if it's one of the alphabets used to render Sudanese or Somali, or Egyptian Arabic, though it doesn't look very Arabic.

manchesters 24-03-20 12:42 PM

Peter,

I have tried a on line translater for the word EGYPT but couldnt match it to any language???

regards

Tiger Pete 24-03-20 12:46 PM

Hi Simon,

The fourth symbol from the left that looks like a capital E is 4 in Arabic. That doesn't preclude it from also being something else too.

KR,

Pete

sapper533 24-03-20 01:10 PM

I thought it might be a Greek sigma for 'S' .......might it be antcient Greek rather than modern Greek?

mike_vee 24-03-20 02:11 PM

One confusing bit is English letters (or possibly Roman numerals) are included , could these refer to a specific military unit ?

grey_green_acorn 24-03-20 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are collar badges of the Dorsetshire Regiment with the sphinx over MARABOUT

Tim

bess55 24-03-20 07:45 PM

Klingon. . . it was the umlaut over the V that gave it away.

Mike H 24-03-20 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 503886)
These are officer’s collar badges of the Dorsetshire Regiment with the sphinx over MARABOUT

Tim

Tim,they are ORs collar badges.
Officers collars attached.
When the 2nd Btn was in existence, their Officers wore the same without the enamelled tablet.

grey_green_acorn 24-03-20 08:32 PM

Indeed but MARABOUT not EGYPT was the point!

Tim

mike_vee 25-03-20 10:54 AM

Couple of suggestions for consideration.

Egypt (battle honour)

"It was awarded to British units with the badge of the Sphinx and initially to Indian units simply as Egypt. Later, the badge of the Sphinx was taken into use by Indian units also."

Possible Indian connection ? :confused: (hindi/punjabi/bengali/gujarati)

Quote:

One confusing bit is English letters (or possibly Roman numerals) are included , could these refer to a specific military unit ?
Saw a badge of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Licolnshire Regiment , 2nd VOLr BATTn on plinth (and Lincolnshire on scroll underneath) .
I know this is different to badge shown but could it possibly be for another Volunteer unit ? :confused:

manchesters 25-03-20 11:12 AM

All good suggestions thank you.

I have still been unable to ID the language.

regards

peter monahan 25-03-20 12:04 PM

So, really, all we need is someone with the patience to piug "MARABOUT" and "Egypt" intio Google translate and look for matches with Arabic / Hindi / Bengali / ancient Greek ' Klingon.

Shouldn't be any time at all before we get an answer. Unless [unlikely] its a fantasy piece, in which case... :(

MAP32 25-03-20 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to Daniel Brinson in his work on the Insignia of Gloucestershire, the peculiar characters are a manufacturers idea of Greek. See pages 52 and 53.
I have an embroidered FSC badge with similar characters.

manchesters 25-03-20 02:54 PM

Thanks for that.

Could you show me with a clear picture please, thats very blurred.

regards