British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WW1 Cap badge for identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89180)

Imsomewhatokay 07-04-22 07:15 PM

WW1 Cap badge for identification

2 Attachment(s)
Hello!

I have a WW1 cap badge that needs identifying! The images aren’t too clear, I have a feeling it’s royal horse artillery but I’m not sure! It’s my great grandfather (George) and sadly he’s not around to ask!
If anyone can identify it I’d be very grateful! Pictured also is my great grandmother (May) who seems to have something pinned to her chest that I can’t identify, it may be a nurses watch? Long shot but if anyone can figure that out too I’d be really happy :)

Thanks,

Attachment 266295

Attachment 266296

Alan O 08-04-22 08:16 AM

Yes he is in the artillery and she has a hanging pendent watch.

High Wood 08-04-22 08:26 AM

Definitely a branch of the Royal Artillery, but whether he served with the Royal Field Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery or even the Royal Horse Artillery from the cap badge alone is difficult to say. The shoulder titles should help so if you could post a close up of the shoulder titles it might help. The shoulder title appears to have a T above it so he was possibly a Territorial.

If you could tell us his name it would be more useful in identifying his unit,

magpie 08-04-22 09:06 AM

Your great grandmother is wearing a dangler as my friend called them, it's a brooch with a bar /bow in this case or some other device with a pin back that suspends a royal artillery badge and perhaps mounted on a silver triangle to show her husband/ son /boy friend etc is in the army, a less cropped version of the head and shoulders picture as Simon says may tell you more about the type of artillery he served with if visible.

Imsomewhatokay 08-04-22 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

Thankyou for replying!

His name was George William Garment, hopefully this helps!
I can’t get a closer image of his shoulders and it seems there isn’t anything low enough to see though he does have something on his chest which I will post here, though it is very blurry due to the photographs age!

Thanks!

Attachment 266305

mike_vee 08-04-22 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 576738)
Your great grandmother is wearing a dangler as my friend called them, it's a brooch with a bar /bow in this case or some other device with a pin back that suspends a royal artillery badge and perhaps mounted on a silver triangle to show her husband/ son /boy friend etc is in the army

Here is one common style .

Imsomewhatokay 08-04-22 11:21 AM

Hello!

The one my great grandmother is wearing doesn’t quite match that? It seems more round and long in comparison! I’ve considered if it could be a nurses fob watch but since it’s so unclear I’m not sure! I don’t know if the dangler type thing could’ve come mounted on something more rounded like the photo? Any input would help greatly! She was a beautiful soul or so I’m told, so it would be nice to know these smaller details!

Thanks

magpie 08-04-22 12:15 PM

The one shown by Mike if just one example of many variations in size, Shape, quality and design and made by many different makers all being different , it's not a watch and you can clearly see the bow at the top, the badge or what ever else is hanging from th bow may also be mounted on a decorative design of some sort that will look different again to Mike's example, my friend had hundreds of these to diffent regiments out of his collection of some 20,000 sweetheart badges.

leigh kitchen 08-04-22 12:22 PM

Deleted - posted incorrect details.

Home Guard 08-04-22 03:12 PM

In the photos he seems to be wearing a light colored lanyard - probably white, which at least in WW2 was Royal Artillery. ATS girls often wore them when attached to an RA unit.

Terry

gb64 08-04-22 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 576775)
In the photos he seems to be wearing a light colored lanyard - probably white, which at least in WW2 was Royal Artillery. ATS girls often wore them when attached to an RA unit.

Terry

I have a photo of my Grandad WW1 , he was in the Royal Horse Artillery and wearing the same “white” lanyard .

Gerard

High Wood 08-04-22 03:39 PM

There is no Great War medal index card for a George William Garment.

Was he one of these two men?

Births Dec 1879 GARMENT George William Birth registered Berkhampstead

Births Mar 1911 Garment George W Birth registered Edmonton

Imsomewhatokay 09-04-22 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 576780)
There is no Great War medal index card for a George William Garment.

Was he one of these two men?

Births Dec 1879 GARMENT George William Birth registered Berkhampstead

Births Mar 1911 Garment George W Birth registered Edmonton

Hi!

He was born in 1879 in Aldbury, Hertfordshire. I can’t be sure if it would fall under berkhampstead in the registry but I’d say that’s probably him given the year :)

Imsomewhatokay 09-04-22 04:21 PM

Hello!

I thought it might potentially be the horse artillery! He was a horseman through and through, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that were true :)

High Wood 10-04-22 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imsomewhatokay (Post 576879)
Hello!

I thought it might potentially be the horse artillery! He was a horseman through and through, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that were true :)

Both the Royal Field Artillery and the Royal Horse Artillery used horses during the Great War.