British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   WW1 Medal set without the Victory Medal (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48429)

bloggins 19-09-15 08:27 PM

WW1 Medal set without the Victory Medal

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

I recently acquired a 1914-15 Star, a British War Medal and a Class A War services Badge.

The Medals are both named for the same soldier and through checking the records I was able to confirm the War Services Badge are his.

I have a question regarding the lack of a Victory Medal. It has been my understanding that if one received the 1914-15 star they were also to receive the Victory medal. The soldier in question discharged from the CEF in 1918, died in 1924 and his widow was sent a dispatch along with his medals in 1929.

By reading the documents in the attachments did he only ever recieve the 1914-15 star and BWM? If so then I can stop looking for his Victory medal. I suppose the question revolves around if "P and S" refers to "Pip and Squeak"

Thanks for all the help

manchesters 19-09-15 08:47 PM

The answer is a definate NO.

Everyone with a Victory medal also got the BWM.

The BWM is the only one of the 3 to be awarded as a single entitlement.

The badge you refer to is the Silver War Badge. (SWB).

regards

Nozzer 19-09-15 08:57 PM

If he served overseas as part of the CEF, then he is entitled to the Victory Medal.

"Pip and Squeak" is an unoffical reference to a popular cartoon of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip,_Squeak_and_Wilfred

Andy

bloggins 19-09-15 09:08 PM

I just realized I put this in the wrong country's thread. I will repost in Canada.

Cam

bloggins 19-09-15 09:10 PM

WW1 Medal set without the Victory Medal

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

I recently acquired a 1914-15 Star, a British War Medal and a Class A War services Badge.

The Medals are both named for the same soldier and through checking the records I was able to confirm the War Services Badge are his.

I have a question regarding the lack of a Victory Medal. It has been my understanding that if one received the 1914-15 star they were also to receive the Victory medal. The soldier in question discharged from the CEF in 1918, died in 1924 and his widow was sent a dispatch along with his medals in 1929.

By reading the documents in the attachments did he only ever recieve the 1914-15 star and BWM? If so then I can stop looking for his Victory medal. I suppose the question revolves around if "P and S" refers to "Pip and Squeak"

Thanks for all the help

manchesters 19-09-15 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggins (Post 323940)
I just realized I put this in the wrong country's thread. I will repost in Canada.

Cam

Not much point. You already have your answer.

regards

Nozzer 19-09-15 09:16 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=48429

bloggins 19-09-15 10:14 PM

No I don't have my answer. I do understand different criteria has been used by different parts of the empire.

I never referred to a SBW. Canadians were not awarded them. They received a Class A War services Pin. As I mentioned. My question centered around the "P and S" notation on his file as well as on the medals dispatch to his widow. I know the common reference, and where it came form. It would be interesting if such reference made in to official records.

bloggins 19-09-15 10:17 PM

Hence the reason I moved it to the Canadian Thread.

Phillip Herring 19-09-15 10:58 PM

Set? The convention is to refer to a "group" of medals.

Phil

John S. 20-09-15 04:04 AM

WWI medal set......

bloggins:
The "P and S" you refer to represents Plaque and Scroll, items that were dispatched to the next of kin, Mrs. Beatty. Likewise, the Memorial Cross.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
John S.

Pylon1357 20-09-15 04:10 AM

John is correct. The P and S refer to the memorial plaque and memorial scroll. Yes he is entitled to the Victory Medal. You should post his medals card as well. That index card you posted is in regards to the memorial plaque scroll and cross.

JerryBB 20-09-15 06:47 AM

As the group is missing his memorial plaque and his Victory medal perhaps they were divided up between two parts of the family, one getting what you have and the other getting the missing items.

Frank Kelley 20-09-15 07:17 AM

I suspect that happened really quite often.:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 323977)
As the group is missing his memorial plaque and his Victory medal perhaps they were divided up between two parts of the family, one getting what you have and the other getting the missing items.

oc14 20-09-15 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggins (Post 323952)
No I don't have my answer. I do understand different criteria has been used by different parts of the empire.

I never referred to a SBW. Canadians were not awarded them. They received a Class A War services Pin. As I mentioned. My question centered around the "P and S" notation on his file as well as on the medals dispatch to his widow. I know the common reference, and where it came form. It would be interesting if such reference made in to official records.

With regard to silver war badges I'm afraid you are wrong. Canadian soldiers were awarded silver war badges - they can be identified as Canadian issues by the letter C prefix to the badge number
PL