British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Home Guard (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84767)

popskipa 07-05-21 12:12 PM

Home Guard

1 Attachment(s)
I need the help of the forum to identify the badge, which country and when?

Malaya?

Thank you for looking, Keith

Wmr-RHB 07-05-21 01:49 PM

I think the script is Bengali. Just for a start.

And the Bengal Tiger goes with this ;)

Guzzman 07-05-21 03:43 PM

In India the Home Guard is an auxiliary police unit. They were established in several parts of India during the 1960s - including Bengal. There is an article on the 'Home Guard (India)' on Wikipedia.

Pete

Wmr-RHB 07-05-21 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 548487)
In India the Home Guard is an auxiliary police unit. They were established in several parts of India during the 1960s - including Bengal. There is an article on the 'Home Guard (India)' on Wikipedia.

Pete

Sorry to be pedantic, but when this is India in the 1960s then it is West Bengal.

Guzzman 08-05-21 09:58 AM

Hi Henk

Please feel free to be as pedantic as you wish! There's no greater pedant than me!

This isn't actually my field of collecting - I'm an Royal Navy collector. I just happened to come across something about the Home Guard (India) when I was searching for something else and thought I'd pass it on.

Pete

Wmr-RHB 08-05-21 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 548646)
Hi Henk

Please feel free to be as pedantic as you wish! There's no greater pedant than me!

This isn't actually my field of collecting - I'm an Royal Navy collector. I just happened to come across something about the Home Guard (India) when I was searching for something else and thought I'd pass it on.

Pete

Thank you for not being offended. It is just geographic and history and all that (and nothing to do with badges field of collection). Bengal was split into West and East in 1947. East became East Pakistan and later Bangladesh. West Bengal is still one of the states of India. So when there is any government institution within India, it can't be Bengal (Bangladesh would vehement protest I assume). but probably organized on the state level and thus West Bengal.

But you remark about Home Guards organized in India in the 60s is of course a valuable addition to the probable origin of the badge.

My next step, following your information was going to Wikipedia. And see: HomeGuard (India).

It indeed mentions the Home Guard also being active in Bengal (sic!), but when you click there it goes to the state of West Bengal (I may change that, after all it is Wikipedia and making improvements can be done by everybody).

Wmr-RHB 08-05-21 10:49 AM

I searched a little bit around using Goggle Translate, etc.

Home Guard in Bengali is: ঘরের রক্ষক
I see some similarity between the second word (guard) and one of the words on the badge (starting a bit right from the top of the badge). Not much I admit.