British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EFI Shoulder Title? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85832)

Padre 27-07-21 04:59 PM

EFI Shoulder Title?

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify what the 'EFI' letters stand for on this title?

Thank you.

leigh kitchen 27-07-21 05:09 PM

Expeditionary Forces Institute.

Padre 27-07-21 05:13 PM

Thank you Leigh. The only thing that sprang to mind was Expeditionary Force Infantry, and I knew it couldn't be that!

Much appreciated!

Alpha58 04-08-21 07:09 AM

As Leigh says - Expeditionary Forces Institute. Don't know if it still exists but the NAAFI wasn't allowed to send civilian staff into combat zones so they drafted them into the TA and put them in RASC/RAOC/RLC/AJC uniform to sell their tea and buns.

Hoot 04-08-21 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha58 (Post 556127)
As Leigh says - Expeditionary Forces Institute. Don't know if it still exists but the NAAFI wasn't allowed to send civilian staff into combat zones so they drafted them into the TA and put them in RASC/RAOC/RLC/AJC uniform to sell their tea and buns.

If I remember correctly the CWGC lists 146 NAAFI personnel who sacrificed their lives in WW2, mostly members of the Naval Canteen Service who went down with the ships they were serving on. I think the "To sell their tea and buns" remark is a bit of an insult to them under the circumstances.

Royal 05-08-21 06:40 AM

The EFI at Shaiba Log Base took a direct hit from an Iranian 122mm rocket in early 2005 - fortunately no casualties as it was closed for the night by then - but I'd echo that sentiment.

Postwarden 05-08-21 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To mark NAAFI's Centenary at the beginning of the year The Military Heraldry Society published a 32-page special issue of The Formation Sign, the front page of which is shown.

With over 200 illustrations it tells NAAFI's story from its origins in the Expeditionary Force Canteens and Navy & Army Canteen Board to the present day. A large number of badges for NAAFI and the EFI are illustrated, along with photographs and ephemera.

I can supply PDF copies for £10. If interested please PM me.

Jon

Home Guard 05-08-21 02:21 PM

I have a copy of this journal and I think it is just excellent! Not my primary focus, but do enjoy collecting them when I can pick something up. So, this journal has been extremely helpful.

Terry

NAAFI BL&S 28-12-21 10:30 PM

552 were Killed in WW2 and many more after. The biggest loss of life was on the lancastria when NCS and EFI personnel were killed

EFI Uniformed were serving members and fully signed up as Reserves but full time.

You can read the rest in the book

Mike_2817 29-12-21 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha58 (Post 556127)

Yes, EFI still exists as part of the RLC as 148 (EFI) Sqn RLC (Reserve) based at Grantham (never as part of the AGC)

and onboard HM Ships through the Naval Canteen Service (NCS) based at Portsmouth

Overseas and in Germany NAAFI still provides the supply of all catering, retail and leisure services.

In the UK all services are now put out to contract by the MoD but RLC/EFI supply mobile canteens on major exercises.