British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Foreign Badges and Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   WWII Polish parachute qualification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86051)

Ian B 14-08-21 02:50 PM

WWII Polish parachute qualification

I'm helping a local vet's group with info for a Polish veteran's display. Can anyone give me a "no less than/no more than" price range for a WWII Polish parachute qualification?

Also, anyone know of an online listing that links the qualification's serial number to a name?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian B

popskipa 14-08-21 03:07 PM

Hello Ian,

I would expect to pay £1200.00 to £1500.00 for an original wartime Polish Paratrooper qualification badge.

I have a list of all the numbers/names if you send me a pm I will look him up.

Keith

leigh kitchen 14-08-21 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
"Materialy,History of the Polish Parachute Badge" by Jans Lory lists badge numbers and recipients but is an expensive book.

A couple of sales results for badges that sold around 10 years ago (neither bought or sold by me, the sellers and buyers not known to me), they're expensive little items, repros can be had for £10 - £20.

Ian B 15-08-21 12:09 AM

Keith and Leigh,

Thanks for the quick replies. Very much appreciated. I only took a quick look at the para qual. It was mounted along with his Polish cap badge and what I think was his collar badge. I will talk to the fellow who brought it to the vet's meeting this past week and see if I can get a look at the back to confirm the ser. no. and the motto. Was the para qual ever produced in the UK during the war, and if so, how do you tell the difference between that and ones produced in Poland?

Further info, there is no combat wreath as the included blurb stated that the soldier made it to France and then to England. Apparently he taught para training and mountain climbing to spec ops pers during the war. After the war he emigrated to Canada, married and had a career in engineering out west. Retired to the Island and passed away some time ago.

Soon as I can confirm details of the reverse, I'll be in touch one way or the other.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ian

leigh kitchen 15-08-21 04:57 AM

The badges were made by the Polish Military Research Group in London ("GR-Tech") and Kirkwood & Son in Edinburgh.
The collar badge - a grey, roughly lozenge shaped cloth badge with yellow trim at one end and bearing a white metal parachute?

popskipa 15-08-21 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Examples of the Polish Parachutist Qualification badge, both makers shown...

leigh kitchen 15-08-21 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Are those badges genuine?
My knowledge of these badges is limited, but were the wreaths not always brazed on?

popskipa 15-08-21 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 557015)
Arw those badges genuine?
My knowledge of these badges is limited, but were the wreaths not always brazed on?

Both wings are original. The Combat wreath was attached by any method the recipient chose.
Here another well polished GR Techn wing (this time wreath soldered in place), together with the award booklet, recipients driving permit and medals.

leigh kitchen 15-08-21 11:05 AM

Interesting, from what I've read and heard the badges were handed in for the wreaths to be added, it wasn't down to the individual to arrange attachment.

Ian B 15-08-21 01:01 PM

Re: Polish Para

deleted

Ian B 15-08-21 01:04 PM

Re: Polish Para

Good day Leigh,

Received your PM. Thanks for the extra info. Will check out the website you suggest. If I get a chance to check the reverse of the subj qual, I will let everyone know what I found.

Thanks to everyone for the extra info in previous posts.

Ian B

Ian B 18-08-21 07:38 PM

Re: Polish para qual

4 Attachment(s)
Good day all,

Attaching pics of the subj badges from the O.P. I'm no expert, but I'm willing to say that the para qual looks genuine to me. Only thing is that the nut is not maker marked.

Not sure what is written on the back of the shield that the para qual is mounted on. Any ideas as what the small cross badge under the hat badge might be?

Ian

leigh kitchen 18-08-21 07:43 PM

I'm no expert by any means, to me the badge looks genuine.
The "spinner" without a manufacturer's mark is thought to be an early version.
The cross badge is, I think, a scout movement one.

Wooffy 18-08-21 08:50 PM

Leigh is correct - the cross is a ZHP Scouting One

silverwash 18-08-21 11:46 PM

the parachute qualification badge was issued to Second Lieutenant Kazimierz Gontorzynski of First Corps. the low issue number ties in with the first pattern of spinner before GR Tech started to put their manufacturing mark on them. the cap badge has the die characteristics of William Scully, Canada