British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Converted Tall Orb Fake Artillery badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85681)

manchesters 13-07-21 10:15 AM

Converted Tall Orb Fake Artillery badges

I wondered how long it would take the fakers to soak up all the information on here regarding tall orb Artillery cap badge fakes.

Here is one from one of the most infamous ebay sellers with the tall orb cut off, a trend that members must take into account now when viewing RA cap badges.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284368850...8AAOSwu4Zg7DWO

Could some kind member please place the ebay photo on this page for future refeencer as I cant do it.

regards

leigh kitchen 13-07-21 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Keith Blakeman 13-07-21 11:33 AM

Can't say I've ever heard of the seller, is that a new name for someone I probably do?

manchesters 13-07-21 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 554456)
Can't say I've ever heard of the seller, is that a new name for someone I probably do?

Search Nigel Flitter on here

regards

ajc347 13-07-21 12:11 PM

That’s really interesting to see. I was wondering as to exactly what the tall orb issue was, and now it makes more sense as even I can see how it has been altered.

Is the tall orb issue confined to just RA badges, or does it occur on other badges as well.

The Quartermaster 13-07-21 01:23 PM

Is it cut off or just bent back? My eyes are not what they used to be but the reverse shot still shows the detail of the top cross? Either way very devious and thanks for sharing
Cheers
Mike

manchesters 13-07-21 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajc347 (Post 554461)
That’s really interesting to see. I was wondering as to exactly what the tall orb issue was, and now it makes more sense as even I can see how it has been altered.

Is the tall orb issue confined to just RA badges, or does it occur on other badges as well.

Just RA badges, Cadets, Volunteers, TF and the rare TF versions with named scrolls and even just regular RA badges.

regards

Luke H 13-07-21 01:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That badge is not from the same die as the tall orb fakes. You can see the difference in the lettering, seeding, crown & jewels, wheel and rim rivets etc.

manchesters 13-07-21 02:40 PM

I thought it was a nice striking, a newer batch perhaps but in hindsight possibly not a tall orb cut down so I have deleted my post.

MODS - Please delete thread as its irrelevant now.

My mistake

regards

Nozzer 13-07-21 03:11 PM

Two more things that always stand out on the "Tall Orb" fakes are the die flaw in the trail handle and the "bite" out of the scroll. I hope you don't mind Luke, but I have borrowed your images to illustrate.

Home Guard 13-07-21 05:17 PM

I found it interesting that he describes it as a "white metal" RA badge. Maybe it's just my PC but it sure doesn't look like white metal to me.

Terry

Hoot 13-07-21 06:08 PM

Gentlemen, pardon my confused state, but is the badge referred to in the opening post still considered to be a duff one or not?.

manchesters 13-07-21 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 554516)
Gentlemen, pardon my confused state, but is the badge referred to in the opening post still considered to be a duff one or not?.

I started the thread and seem to have been mistaken, a combination of rushing, poor eyesight and mis trust of the seller. Schoolboy error.

It has been shown by others on here NOT to be a tall orb type fake.

I did ask for the thread to be deleted as its causing a lot of confusion now.

regards

Nozzer 13-07-21 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzer (Post 554492)
Two more things that always stand out on the "Tall Orb" fakes are the die flaw in the trail handle and the "bite" out of the scroll. I hope you don't mind Luke, but I have borrowed your images to illustrate.

Oops, silly me forgot to add the correct picture. Hopefully you can see what I am trying to illustrate?

Nozzer 13-07-21 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 554519)

I did ask for the thread to be deleted as its causing a lot of confusion now.

regards

Why delete it? Some people have gone to a bit of effort to show what to look for in the "Tall Orb" fake. If it is deleted, perhaps attach the useful posts to a relevant thread?

Just a thought.