British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cleaning up bullion chevrons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80201)

blueboy684 07-08-20 03:24 PM

Cleaning up bullion chevrons

1 Attachment(s)
I have recently purchased some bullion (gold braid) chevrons which are quite dirty.

Does anyone know of a way to remove some of the grime - I am not after 'as new' finish, just something a bit bit cleaner!

Thanks in anticipation.

leigh kitchen 07-08-20 03:30 PM

I've read that a rub with stale bread or talcum powder may help.
As I recall, the bread method was recommended in an old Victorian military document I have somewhere.

Peter Brydon 07-08-20 03:41 PM

I think bread might be mentioned in Dress Regulations ( and tartar ? )

P.B.

manchesters 07-08-20 03:42 PM

Simple way is too rub them over smooth cardboard.

regards

altcar73 07-08-20 03:48 PM

There will be quite a bit of (unseen) dust on them. Before you start with the bread, cardboard etc., use a hand held hoover attachment and run it over them to remove any dust etc., then proceed as suggested.

Dave.

blueboy684 07-08-20 06:18 PM

Ahhh, bit late, I have already started with the cardboard :eek::eek:

Lancer 17 08-08-20 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueboy684 (Post 518713)
Ahhh, bit late, I have already started with the cardboard :eek::eek:

Hi guys

There was a thread on this a while back, I know as I offered the following method which I have used successfully.

Theres a soft white commercial product marketed here in Aust as Chux Micro Abrasion Scuff Buster. Its a soft white block, kind of like a soft rubber but its not. You just wet the block a little and just rub it gently over the item.

Give it a go and see how you go.

Regards

Phil.

blueboy684 08-08-20 05:23 PM

Hi Phil, one teeny weeny problem - I'm in the UK! But thank you for your suggestion and also to everyone else who has taken the trouble to offer suggestions. I have tried the cardboard idea but immediately discounted the talc (after trying on a separate piece). I have been trying with a soft pencil eraser with a little success. I will try the stale bread when it finally goes stale!!

blueboy684 09-08-20 05:48 PM

After

1 Attachment(s)
Just a final post script showing the bullion chevrons after they were given the stale bread treatment - I had a heck of a job getting the jam and butter off though!!!!;);)

There is a slight brightening of the stripes which is what i was after. i may give them another go but am pretty happy with the overall look. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Lancer 17 10-08-20 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueboy684 (Post 518821)
Hi Phil, one teeny weeny problem - I'm in the UK! But thank you for your suggestion and also to everyone else who has taken the trouble to offer suggestions. I have tried the cardboard idea but immediately discounted the talc (after trying on a separate piece). I have been trying with a soft pencil eraser with a little success. I will try the stale bread when it finally goes stale!!

Hi Blueboy

Yes I appreciate that you are in the UK, but surely you are an advanced country and have supermarkets !!

Go and have a look and see if you can find something that kinda meets my description.

Regards from Down Under.

Phil.

Wooffy 10-08-20 09:01 AM

This might do the job: "Autoglym Magic Sponge"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-...r/112826736127

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Ma.../dp/B00P87I3YA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer 17 (Post 518987)
Hi Blueboy

Yes I appreciate that you are in the UK, but surely you are an advanced country and have supermarkets !!

Go and have a look and see if you can find something that kinda meets my description.

Regards from Down Under.

Phil.

blueboy684 10-08-20 05:54 PM

Thanks to both of you! I have invested in one of the magic sponges.

cbuehler 11-08-20 02:38 PM

Too late now, but cardboard usually has sulfur in it, like any rubber products, which is a main cause for tarnishing bullion thread.
No need for fancy cleaners, just a little warm water with a tiny touch of Woolite as a surfactant, lightly brushed with a soft toothbrush, then pat dried with a clean cloth, is best.
Some bullion will respond better than others I have found, but one can never expect a spectacular improvement. The gold wire thread is only very lightly gilded and will show a silvering shade with age and wear, concurrent with tarnishing, which is inevitable and cannot be reversed of course. It is the nature of the beast.

CB

fairlie63 12-08-20 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueboy684 (Post 518680)
I have recently purchased some bullion (gold braid) chevrons which are quite dirty.

Hello blueboy. I also have an identical set of chevrons with the black backing (a bit cleaner perhaps). Who wore them?

Cheers, Keith

49lassiepen 12-08-20 10:16 AM

Q D G
David