British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Queen's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry 1956-71 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88591)

GriffMJ 20-02-22 01:11 PM

The Queen's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry 1956-71

Hi All

I am starting a new project on the QOYY 1956-71. I would be grateful for any pattern card info or relevant information :)

I have started a new reference page here : - https://www.paoyeomanry.org.uk/QOYY/QOYYMainMenu.htm

GriffMJ 20-02-22 08:24 PM

....does anyone know if the QOYY wore an NCO Arm Badge? Did the Squadrons wear their old ones?

Mike H 20-02-22 08:43 PM

Definately saw an arm badge on the uniform i saw. But cant recall for the life of me what it was.
ORs collars found in w/m with a single lug as well as anodised.
Dont forget the running fox shoulder titles.

GriffMJ 21-02-22 05:47 PM

Hi Mike

I have updated the QOYY pages with new images, the running fox STs included..... on the Officers chain mail.

If the cap contains both the Hussars & Dragoons Rose.... then it makes sense that the East Riding is represented on the shoulder ? So the Hussars POWFs NCO arm badge would make sense?

It looks like they did AA Buttons in both yellow & white for the Regiment.

Mike H 21-02-22 06:12 PM

Have a look at the IWM collections Griff,some useful info on there. Search "Queens Own Yorkshire Yeomanry" then the "badges and insignia" tab.

ajc347 21-02-22 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 573441)
Hi Mike

I have updated the QOYY pages with new images, the running fox STs included..... on the Officers chain mail.

If the cap contains both the Hussars & Dragoons Rose.... then it makes sense that the East Riding is represented on the shoulder ? So the Hussars POWFs NCO arm badge would make sense?

It looks like they did AA Buttons in both yellow & white for the Regiment.

Do you the significance of the 'R' badge above the shoulder titles, Griff?

I presume that it stands for Reserve and wasn't aware that TA/TAVR units wore them?

GriffMJ 21-02-22 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 573450)
Have a look at the IWM collections Griff, some useful info on there. Search "Queens Own Yorkshire Yeomanry" then the "badges and insignia" tab.

I have just had a look Mike.... there is not much for the actual QOYY. Plenty on the QOY and the Squadron.... but not the Regiment. I have found a pattern card for the Cap button and also some info on the QOY HQ (QOYY) Squadron being supplied with the AA Cap badge of the QOYY cap badge.

SO..... was the AA created for the QOY HQ (QOYY) Squadron post 1971?

grey_green_acorn 21-02-22 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajc347 (Post 573465)

I presume that it stands for Reserve and wasn't aware that TA/TAVR units wore them?

R is likely to indicate a Retired Officer.

Tim

GriffMJ 21-02-22 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajc347 (Post 573465)

..... it is a Captain's uniform and the "R" would stand for Reserve (or Retired as Tim says). I am not sure why its on there .... maybe he was on attachment to the Regs.... might have been a thing to do then? I am sure somebody will know :)

ajc347 21-02-22 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 573469)

Tim

Thanks Tim. :)

grey_green_acorn 21-02-22 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 573469)

Tim

Here are extracts from Army Dress Regulations 2011.

Tim

GriffMJ 21-02-22 08:09 PM

Hi All

So it appears that the QOYY white metal cap badge was sealed on the 26th June 1957 and the QOYY AA was sealed on the 20th April 1960?

ajc347 21-02-22 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 573473)
Hi All

So it appears that the QOYY white metal cap badge was sealed on the 26th June 1957 and the QOYY AA was sealed on the 20th April 1960?

That's very intersting indeed Griff.

So it would appear that the WM badge was worn for a period prior to AA and both were worn with WM collars (as the AA collars were sealed on 29/11/1972).

GriffMJ 21-02-22 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajc347 (Post 573474)
That's very intersting indeed Griff.

So it would appear that the WM badge was worn for a period prior to AA and both were worn with WM collars (as the AA collars were sealed on 29/11/1972).

...lets see :) We know that we have a pattern card for the 1972 AA Collars and they must have been for the QOY HQ (QOYY) Squadron.

In my own Yeomanry we started the amalgamated Regiment, in 1957, with a Bimetal cap badge made by Gaunt (large MM) and then got the AA "issued" in 1963.

Luke H 21-02-22 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 573473)
Hi All

Excellent Griff, that’s definite progress.

Now the next, and million dollar question, is were they actually issued / worn?

As I mentioned previously the QC Dorset Yeo was definitely sealed but we know never issued in WM. So was this situation repeated with other Yeomanry? There’s a strong suspicion that it was with the QC Northumberland Yeo.

Also the dates mean that for the first 6 months (at least) of the QOYY existence they presumably wore their old parent badges.