British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Zealand Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Long Range Patrol Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12236)

pukman 02-09-10 06:12 PM

Long Range Patrol Badge

2 Attachment(s)
I managed to get some photo's of the rare and extremely collectable Long Range Patrol badge off a local collector.The Long Range Patol was a elite New Zealand unit operating as a reconniscance group ,behind enemy lines ,in the Western Desert,Lybia/Tunisia and latter in the Greek Islands, during WW2.

The badge was made in limited numbers,in Egypt,and then the die broken.The Long Range Desert Group (LRDG),a latter British/NZ/Rhodesian unit,the badge is copied extensively.I have heard anecdotes that their are copies of the LRP badge also.Because it is an elite unit ,it has international appeal,and these badges go for multi thousand dollars /pounds when they come up for auction.

The genuine LRP badges are made of silver,with stamped Egyptian silver proof marks.They originally had a gold wash,and traces of this can still be found on genuine badges.

I hope others add to this thread,and i welcome comments.

cheers iain

grey_green_acorn 02-09-10 09:52 PM

In the book "Bearded Brigands - The legendary Long Range Desert Group in the diaries and photographs of Trooper Frank Jopling" Appendix II illustrates the LRP badge and describes its history.
Edited by Brendan O'Carroll (author of The Kiwi Scorpions) and published in New Zealand 2002 by Ngaio Press and in the Uk by Leo Cooper in 2003.
ISBN 0 85052 9557

saumua 07-09-10 10:02 AM

Gidday Iain,

Not all were hallmarked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukman (Post 80845)
I managed to get some photo's of the rare and extremely collectable Long Range Patrol badge off a local collector.The Long Range Patol was a elite New Zealand unit operating as a reconniscance group ,behind enemy lines ,in the Western Desert,Lybia/Tunisia and latter in the Greek Islands, during WW2.

The badge was made in limited numbers,in Egypt,and then the die broken.The Long Range Desert Group (LRDG),a latter British/NZ/Rhodesian unit,the badge is copied extensively.I have heard anecdotes that their are copies of the LRP badge also.Because it is an elite unit ,it has international appeal,and these badges go for multi thousand dollars /pounds when they come up for auction.

The genuine LRP badges are made of silver,with stamped Egyptian silver proof marks.They originally had a gold wash,and traces of this can still be found on genuine badges.

I hope others add to this thread,and i welcome comments.

cheers iain

saumua 07-09-10 10:04 AM

See

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=209

Copies (yes there are some) are cast not stuck. A 20x eyepiece shows this straight away. Copies are damn rare too.

Shaun

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumua (Post 81348)
Gidday Iain,

Not all were hallmarked.

pukman 08-09-10 08:51 AM

Hello Shaun,
I'm definately no expert.I have seen only one genuine one.
I am going by a few sources that tell me that their are extremely good copies of this badge,missing the Egyptian Hallmark.

Cheers iain

saumua 08-09-10 09:00 AM

Thanks Iain,

I have seen/held 5 genuine examples some with some without hallmarks.

I have also held two of the copy badges and have one (will post photos). The copies were cast (too damn expensive to make a die). Cast badges will always become obvious (read very very obvious) under magnification. If its cast its a copy period.

Shaun

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukman (Post 81496)
Hello Shaun,
I'm definately no expert.I have seen only one genuine one.
I am going by a few sources that tell me that their are extremely good copies of this badge,missing the Egyptian Hallmark.

Cheers iain

pukman 08-09-10 09:23 AM

Thats cool Shaun,only going by what the Christchurch boys tell me,

cheers again ,iain

atillathenunns 10-09-10 08:03 AM

Fantastic badge Iain, thanks for sharing.
By any chance do you have a close up of the hallmark? The right hand stamp looks like an ‘I’ which represents the year 1941.
I believe the left hand stamp is the Assay mark for Cairo, and depending what squiggles you have at the top of that mark, will give you the silver content. (.900, .800 and .700)
Is it known who the original owner was?????????

Shaun has made some important comments for those who are interested in purchasing one of these bad boys for their collection.-
These LRP badges have been faked.
The quality of these reproductions is exceptionally good and you need at least a 20x eyepiece to make an evaluation as to authenticity.
And you need to have handled a few of these badges to know what to look for in identifying a fake.

Simply put, before purchasing one of these bad boys, do your homework.

pukman 10-09-10 09:55 AM

Brent,

I think the Egyptian Hallmark is the key to this badge.That is what the NZ Badge Gurus(Old School) have passed down the line.I will get better pictures of the hallmark in time.I can say that the badge pictured come into a colllection before any cheap shot bastards ,decided to make a dollar out of someones missfortune.

regards iain

atillathenunns 10-09-10 10:55 PM

Iain, when I look at the picture of your friends LRP badge, it ticks all the boxes for me, and I feel 100% confident it is the real deal.

Now Shaun please do not take this the wrong way, but I am not 100% comfortable with the badge you have pictured in the attachment above.
This could just be a lack of knowledge on my part, as I too am no expert, and unless I ask the question I wont find the answer.

My main concern regarding the LRP badge you have pictured, is the ghosting flaw on the letter ‘N,’ which I have not seen on the two known originals that I have handled.
Is it hallmarked?
Any chance of a picture of the back of the badge?
Did the badge come with any provenance?

Brent

Jibba Jabba 27-10-10 07:07 PM

Check this out chaps:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LRP-LONG-RANGE...item3cb1f986b7

bagdeboy 28-10-10 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba (Post 87539)

are you saying this is fake?

bagdeboy 28-10-10 12:27 PM

how can one tell if you have a replica LRP badge?

Jibba Jabba 28-10-10 05:14 PM

I dont mean to be rude but if someone posts a link to eBay on a militaria forum it does not mean that person is infering that item is not genuine. It is merely to bring to the attention of forum members the listing on eBay. If anything, free advertising for the vendor, who by the way I have zero involvement with.

bagdeboy 28-10-10 05:41 PM

I realize that - it is not what I meant
Just thought you'd be able to tell if it was genuine as I had not seen these before