British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   All other Colonial Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   EAST NOR EAST AFRICA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10254)

Quicksilver 13-04-10 02:37 AM

EAST NOR EAST AFRICA

In recent times there have been a few people sending in pix about the military badges of Sudan which are very rare and also very interesting. While I have very little interesting information on the subject I would very much like to learn more about it. Would it be worthwhile our group sharing information and creating a list of the units and the badges. I am thinking mainly of Sudan, Ethiopia and the Various Somaliland's. I presume there is no book on the subject. Does any one have any thoughts or comments on this subject?
Quicksilver

natal01 13-04-10 03:58 PM

Over the centuries Africa has seen an awful lot of fighting and continues to do so. As a result there have been many units that have appeared for a while and then been consigned to the scrapheap of history. Some of these units were around long enough to have actually produced their own badges and insignia. I find this sort of thing fascinating and is why I collect strange badges to exotic and long defunct units like the Seychelles Peoples Liberation army, the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army, the Biafra Airforce, 5 Commando ( Mike Hoare's mercenary unit) and so on. There are no books detailing these badges, but maybe an album set aside for African badges could be of more general interest.
I would be happy to contribute pics from my collection.
Mike

Quicksilver 15-04-10 03:56 AM

East nor east

Thanks Mike for your thoughts. We are in agreement, but looks like we are the only two in the forum interested. It just seemed an interesting idea if a few people here could combine forces and put together some pix and perhaps notes of the various units for the Sudan, Eritrea, Somaliland, Ethiopia group of countries and if a success we could then look at something for West Africa. However, there is not much interest by the looks of things. I dont have much to contribute on this subject other than a few Ethiopian Signal badges and a history of Sudan Signals. So much to learn!
Rgds Quicksilver

Quote:

Originally Posted by natal01 (Post 66349)
Over the centuries Africa has seen an awful lot of fighting and continues to do so. As a result there have been many units that have appeared for a while and then been consigned to the scrapheap of history. Some of these units were around long enough to have actually produced their own badges and insignia. I find this sort of thing fascinating and is why I collect strange badges to exotic and long defunct units like the Seychelles Peoples Liberation army, the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army, the Biafra Airforce, 5 Commando ( Mike Hoare's mercenary unit) and so on. There are no books detailing these badges, but maybe an album set aside for African badges could be of more general interest.
I would be happy to contribute pics from my collection.
Mike

Eddie Parks 15-04-10 07:53 AM

I am certainly interested - but I don't have anything significant to contribute!!

zob 15-04-10 11:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'm always interested in this kind of discussion, and would most certainly like to hear your history of the Sudan Signals along with anything else that members are willing to chip in. In the meantime I thought I'd try and start the ball rolling with the attached shoulder title: SIGNALS 19 UMP. As you can see from the pictures it's theatre cast possibly African/Indian. Any ideas, or are we stumped before we begin....

Regards,

Zob.

natal01 17-04-10 02:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Zob,
My first thought is that it is Indian and not African. I dont know the unit, but with the exception of the SADF at the height of its power, you are unlikely to find a '19th' anything in African forces.
Here are a few badges from the collection. They are the Eritrea Police, Somaliland Camel Corps and the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army. A mixed bunch , but all interesting in their own way.
Mike

blackpowder44 17-04-10 05:01 PM

Nor-East Africa

Please count me in on this hughly interesting area of British influence. I have already posted some pictures of my badges from this area so unless asked will not add them here, regards, John

Quicksilver 18-04-10 02:56 AM

East Nor East

There is now enough interest for us to move forward with this project. I have contacted, or tried to contact, the website owner and hope we can have a project space set up. We require a place to deposit pix and information. I would suggest we have headings of each country and drop in information or pix within each appropriate listing.
With hope and interest
Quicksilver

Quicksilver 18-04-10 02:59 AM

As regards 19ump - No idea. Presume there was no 19 Umvoti Mounted Police and I cant see anything in my two histories of Indian and one history of Pakistan Signals. The title looks sub continent in style but perhaps an oil company or the like? The other badges sent through are excellent.
Quicksilver.

natal01 18-04-10 06:51 AM

I have just had a look at the "Albums' section of the forum and while there are some really nice badges on display, there doesn't seem to be any commentary on the particular badges. I feel that many of the badges that will be displayed are so obscure that they need explanation.
Maybe the forum owners could have a look at this.
Mike

Quicksilver 18-04-10 07:39 AM

Without an explanation they are just badges but with an explanation they suddenly become interesting badges.

What I would like to see is:
Section for each country
Date of Period worn - sometimes the country becomes a republic
Type of badge (Regiment or Corps name)
Any relevant information on the unit

Perhaps if we just go for the pix first and perhaps later we can fill in the details.
Quicksilver

Quote:

Originally Posted by natal01 (Post 66774)
I have just had a look at the "Albums' section of the forum and while there are some really nice badges on display, there doesn't seem to be any commentary on the particular badges. I feel that many of the badges that will be displayed are so obscure that they need explanation.
Maybe the forum owners could have a look at this.
Mike

Quicksilver 21-04-10 09:09 AM

East Nor East

3 Attachment(s)
Three Ethiopian Signals brass badges. 1. Cast Mercury badge (came out of Addis Ababa). 2. small Mercury badge with pin. 3. Later Signal badge - lugs. Dates unknown. I have a very short history of its formation. Also have something on Sudan but cant find them at present. Here is a bit of history of Somaliland Signals:
Somaliland Signals formed in WW2. Based on a "Corps" Signals which served HQ it was supplemented by local recruitment and a Signal Company which was formed in Somaliland. An independat Somali Signal Squadron in Mogadishu provided communicatgions for the administration and the Somalia Gendarmerie. By mid 1944 Somaliland Signals consisted of British, East African, Somali and Ethiopan personnel. There were about 130 of each group. Long rang wireles links were operatged to Nairobi, Mogadishu, Addis Ababa Aden and Djibouti plus some posts in the Ogaden. Most of the equipment was obsolete unsuitable or captured from the Italians. No information on insignia worn.
Sudan Defence Force Signals in WW2 wore the SDF headdress badge on a Signals patch. Presume this was a R. Signals slouch hat patch.
Quicksilver

saumua 29-04-10 11:40 AM

As you know cliff, I will contribute what I can and make up stuff too......

Quicksilver 06-11-10 07:49 AM

East Nor East

Some months ago I tried to start up a folder for Sudan, Somaliland, Ethiopia and associated countries as there seems to hae been quiet a lot of interesting badges but nothing recorded. I checked with the webmaster and he said he could organize a folder but I would have to have all the pix sent to me and they could not be off ebay or any other site where there could be a copywrite issue. We have had a lot of ill health in the family and it has slowed me down a lot, but if people wish to send me pix of badges from this area of Africa I will be happy to post them into a folder providing one is made available. Please describe what the badges are if possible and the dates worn. I do not collect badges from that area but find them very interesting.
Quicksilver

lancashirefusilier 03-01-11 01:16 PM

Hello Chaps

You have got an interesting idea here.Have you sorted a website or folder?
Why not form a social group on the forum?

All the best

Dave