British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Chaplain Service - Multipiece Enamel Variety (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66874)

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 02:16 AM

Chaplain Service - Multipiece Enamel Variety

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen this multipiece enamel version before?

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reverse

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last view.

cefguy 07-03-18 03:51 AM

Rob:
New to me, but a pretty impressive badge. Is the cross silver?
Don

Rob Dekker 07-03-18 12:42 PM

The cross has a silver overlay, just noticed that one arm has broken away. :(

Darrell 08-03-18 01:14 AM

HI Rob

Nope, never saw one. Very nice. :cool:

Do you mean 2 arms? It looks like the East and West arms are gone.

regards
Darrell

Rob Dekker 08-03-18 03:45 PM

Just the one arm is off.

Would this upgraded badge indicate a higher church ranking such as bishop, etc?

Doug N 09-03-18 02:45 AM

G,S, & E Chaplains badge

3 Attachment(s)
The gilt, silver & enamel pattern badges are described in the same General Order (G.O. 128 / 1932) as the typical blackened badges. There is no indication that the fancy badges were meant to indicate a senior rank or appointment. According to the G.O., these were for wear on the Forage Cap, & the darkened badges for wear with Service Dress. Somewhere I have a picture of the gilt / silver badge on a coloured field service cap.

The badges were made by Scully, & also in England (probably by Gaunt). The English made badges are rare; the Scully made badges even rarer.

The pictures show a W Scully cap badge, & a Gaunt(?) cap & collar set. Look closely & you can see that the Scully motto features fully voided letters, while the English made motto appears to be printed onto the enamel. This may be one of the few cases where a Scully badge is more uptown than a Gaunt.

Similar badges exist in Queen's Crown, but they lack the quality & detail of those shown here. Lastly, I don't know if Scully ever produced the gilt & silver Kings Crown collars. Their existence is doubted by some. If anybody has a pair (or a single) please share a pic.

Rob Dekker 09-03-18 11:18 AM

Beautiful example!! Thanks for sharing.

GregN 28-04-19 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's been some time since I posted in the Forum so here's a start to more activity. Attached are two Chaplin Service badges, the full dress and OSD versions. The Full Dress is slightly different than those already posted in that there are rivets holding the overlay on. Yet another variant to watch out for.

Greg