British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NAVAL TRANSPORT COALING BATTALION BADGE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74848)

Jackhr 07-08-19 08:53 AM

NAVAL TRANSPORT COALING BATTALION BADGE

Hi
would any one have photos of this badge and also info as to how long this unit was in service ?

Cheers Rob

kingsley 07-08-19 10:20 AM

I have a very poor quality photo somewhere in my picture files, will see what I can do. The unit is quite well documented on Google. From memory I think it had something to do with breaking the 1917 General Strike which was seen as a threat to the war effort. Quite a rare badge. I saw one in an auction years ago which was on a leather tab of all things. Presumably this was because coal heavers did not wear suits with a buttonhole for a lapel badge.

Jackhr 07-08-19 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 485601)
I have a very poor quality photo somewhere in my picture files, will see what I can do. The unit is quite well documented on Google. From memory I think it had something to do with breaking the 1917 General Strike which was seen as a threat to the war effort. Quite a rare badge. I saw one in an auction years ago which was on a leather tab of all things. Presumably this was because coal heavers did not wear suits with a buttonhole for a lapel badge.

Yes that's correct but there was a enamel badge with a lapel button on the back and numbered also this is the one l am referring to same as the enamel naval transport badge in shape and size and looks.

mike_vee 07-08-19 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 485591)
Hi
would any one have photos of this badge and also info as to how long this unit was in service ?

Cheers Rob

From AWM site :

"In June 1916 a quasi-military Naval Transport Coaling Battalion operating under the auspices of the Navy Department was formed to operate from Sydney. The short-lived battalion was disbanded in 1917 and the badges forfeit following industrial unrest."

Jackhr 07-08-19 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 485609)
From AWM site :

"In June 1916 a quasi-military Naval Transport Coaling Battalion operating under the auspices of the Navy Department was formed to operate from Sydney. The short-lived battalion was disbanded in 1917 and the badges forfeit following industrial unrest."

Thanks for finding this piece as I looked but could not find anything, this badge pictured is one type an the other photo is the lapel enamelled badge . So i would imagine both are very scarce types to find ? any one have either ?

kingsley 07-08-19 11:22 PM

Badge pix

2 Attachment(s)
The badges are 33 mm high

Jackhr 08-08-19 01:02 AM

Kingsley is this your badge ? and how hard is it to find one ?? I would imagine price would be high

slick_mick 08-08-19 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 485655)
Kingsley is this your badge ? and how hard is it to find one ?? I would imagine price would be high

I would rate it a 'hen's teeth rare' badge.

Mick

Jackhr 08-08-19 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 485656)
I would rate it a 'hen's teeth rare' badge.

Mick

So what would a badge be worth if you could find one?

slick_mick 08-08-19 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 485658)
So what would a badge be worth if you could find one?

Hard to say - maybe $1000+ perhaps.

Mick

mike_vee 08-08-19 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 485650)
So i would imagine both are very scarce types to find ?

From a newspaper article dated 8th April 1916 :

" and he intended to swear in under naval discipline 300 men to form the battalion. Two hundred would be in Sydney and 100 in Melbourne , and if necessary men would also be sworn in at Freemantle and Newcastle".

From 1917 article regarding returning badges:

"I cannot promise that all the badges will be returned. I believe many of my members, now in France, took their badges with them as souvenirs, and some by now are probably buried with their holders."

Jackhr 08-08-19 07:31 AM

Thanks Mike a very interesting read , I wonder what number they started with when they issued them . Kingsley can you show the rear of the badge please. Mike if find any other info please post it .

Rob

mike_vee 08-08-19 09:55 AM

There is an article that was published in "Australian Association for Maritime History" magazine in 2000 titled :

"AUSTRALIA'S NAVAL COALING BATTALION 1916-17: THE BRIEF MILITARISATION OF THE SYDNEY COAL LUMPERS".

It is available to read online (free) if you register with this site ;

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/415...n_tab_contents

mike_vee 08-08-19 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 485601)
I saw one in an auction years ago which was on a leather tab of all things. Presumably this was because coal heavers did not wear suits with a buttonhole for a lapel badge.

The brass one (in earlier photo) was sold at auction by Noble (Australia) in 2001 for $540.

"NAVAL TRANSPORT COALING BATTALION BADGE IN BRASS, No.944, letters and figures impressed, by Stokes & Son, Melbourne. With leather strap attached to lugs, very fine and rare."

kingsley 16-08-19 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear of badge as requested.