British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Antiques Roadshow - BBC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78471)

Monty Cassino 27-04-20 08:50 AM

Antiques Roadshow - BBC

I take it everyone has now heard about the Antiques Roadhow find last night....last piece to be shown! Amazing..worht a watch on iplayer!

Postwarden 27-04-20 09:09 AM

What a collection! Have to admit I had never heard of M Detachment let alone knew it had its own arm title.

Proves it's still out there and that we all have something to learn.

Jon

mike_vee 27-04-20 09:13 AM

Fantastic !

mike_vee 27-04-20 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 507910)
What a collection! Have to admit I had never heard of M Detachment let alone knew it had its own arm title.

Proves it's still out there and that we all have something to learn.

Jon

Found a mention of M Detachment :

"The SBS was headquartered in Athlit, south of Haifa, around this time and comprised a force approximately 250 strong, with L, S and M detachments."

Mike H 27-04-20 09:21 AM

Stunning items,how accurate was the valuation ?

Postwarden 27-04-20 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I found something similar on the Paradata website.

Can anyone with the technical know how let me have an image of the M Detachment title as I plan to write it up in the Military Heraldry Society's Journal.

Thanks

Jon

marinus 27-04-20 09:32 AM

M.Detachment picture

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jon,

Here's a screenshot:

Attachment 222917

Marinus

Postwarden 27-04-20 09:51 AM

Very many thanks.

The info about there being three detachments does of course suggest that there may also be similar titles for L and S Detachments...

Jon

manchesters 27-04-20 10:32 AM

Give it a week and I am sure you will find all 3 titles available on ebay, probably sewn onto a bit of blanket.

regards

arrestingu 27-04-20 11:56 AM

.....interesting 44 pattern wing, and Malaya SAS wing ...some debate as its issue and use in WW2..but seems very plausible...steve

bess55 27-04-20 02:15 PM

Not sure what museum he was referring to that didn't have one. I believe the SBS do not have a museum.

mike_vee 27-04-20 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 507953)
Not sure what museum he was referring to that didn't have one. I believe the SBS do not have a museum.

M.Detachment and the then S.B.S were at that time officially part of the S.A.S , so I guess that he may have been referring to 'The Special Air Service Regimental Museum'.

tarabelle 27-04-20 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Any help ?

T X

Mike H 27-04-20 06:41 PM

On a related note . SAS medals the Peter McAleese lot sold today for 25k.
I think the antiques roadshow guys stuff is far more historically relevant. Although PMc was a Para ,SAS,merc,Rhodesian SAS and 44Btn South African Army. I'm sure theres stuff that's not mentioned that he was involved in. His late brother was also SAS and his late nephew a C/Sjt in the Rifles.

leigh kitchen 27-04-20 07:02 PM

I didn't realise Peter McAleese's medals were on the market?
Is he RIP?
Interesting career, "left" the SAS twice I think it was, joined three times?
I still have a copy of "No Mean Soldier" (I was given it years ago by someone who was in 44 Bde).
I was told years ago that another edition of his book was being discussed, that he could add a lot more text with the benefit of hindsight although a quicker result may just involved additional photos.