British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Life is getting very sad (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66975)

Terry Rayner 14-03-18 05:49 AM

Life is getting very sad

Hello Troops
As well as collecting Essex cap badges, I also collect any medals to the Essex Regt, mainly the first world war. I was in a military shop in Adelaide the other day when a young girl, early twenties, ran into the shop with a hand full of medals six in total that where her fathers. She wanted to sell them, the fellow asked how much she wanted for the medals and she said is $50.00 ok? [UKP25.00] she took the money I could not believe it, he said it happens every day, she needs her next hit.
When I was a lad all my friends houses had their Dads photo and his medals in a frame in the front room. how times have changed.
Regards Terry

KLR 14-03-18 06:47 AM

Yes very sad. Would it be too optimistic of me to hope that the Adelaide shop keeper would try to restore the medals to a responsible member of the family !?
Some cousins of mine had their family medals stolen (many years ago) and they said that it was as if they had lost the memory of their (?) grandfather.

Jackhr 14-03-18 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 438048)
Yes very sad. Would it be too optimistic of me to hope that the Adelaide shop keeper would try to restore the medals to a responsible member of the family !?
Some cousins of mine had their family medals stolen (many years ago) and they said that it was as if they had lost the memory of their (?) grandfather.

If it was ISW I would doubt they would .......... I hope they filled in there 2nd hand dealers book and they were not stolen medals ??

Frank Kelley 14-03-18 07:52 AM

$50!:confused:
Which medals were they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Rayner (Post 438045)
Hello Troops
As well as collecting Essex cap badges, I also collect any medals to the Essex Regt, mainly the first world war. I was in a military shop in Adelaide the other day when a young girl, early twenties, ran into the shop with a hand full of medals six in total that where her fathers. She wanted to sell them, the fellow asked how much she wanted for the medals and she said is $50.00 ok? [UKP25.00] she took the money I could not believe it, he said it happens every day, she needs her next hit.
When I was a lad all my friends houses had their Dads photo and his medals in a frame in the front room. how times have changed.
Regards Terry

Jackhr 14-03-18 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 438054)
$50!:confused:
Which medals were they?

If she is in her 20's I would say a modern group of six , sounds interesting ??

Frank Kelley 14-03-18 08:33 AM

Sounds like she may well have been absolutely ripped off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 438056)
If she is in her 20's I would say a modern group of six , sounds interesting ??

Jackhr 14-03-18 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 438057)

Most likey she was.

JerryBB 14-03-18 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 438057)

And she might well have stolen them in the first place.

Hoot 14-03-18 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Rayner (Post 438045)
Hello Troops
Regards Terry

If the dealer says it happens every day then he must be making a fortune. If he said she needs her next hit then she's a druggie and he knows it. Druggies need help, not encouragement. It doesn't say much for the dealer in my opinion but it doesn't surprise me either.

Frank Kelley 14-03-18 01:42 PM

Indeed, but, I can only go off the original post, in which, it was stated that the particular medals concerned, six in total, actually belonged to her father.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 438064)
And she might well have stolen them in the first place.

Phil2M 14-03-18 02:10 PM

Owned by her father, doesn't necessarily mean they were awarded to him.

Terry Rayner 14-03-18 03:16 PM

Hello Frank
Three of the medals were a WW1 trio, the others were 39/45 star, war and defence medals. She did say they were her fathers and I think maybe her grandfathers as well.

JerryBB 14-03-18 05:46 PM

I don't understand how the shop keeper stated she was in everyday selling to get her fix unless she was stealing.....

Phil2M 14-03-18 05:51 PM

Maybe he meant that it happens every day with different people.

Terry Rayner 15-03-18 06:04 AM

Yes you are wright Phil, different people every day.
And Jackhr it was ISW in the city.
Regards Terry