British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Miniature Medal Ribbons - RAF (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88668)

Insignia 26-02-22 10:08 AM

Miniature Medal Ribbons - RAF

Over the years I have seen miniature medal ribbon bars being sold attributed to RAF personnel.

Miniatures medals were obviously worn on Mess Kit, but I’ve never seen anything about just the miniature medal ribbons being worn.

Does anyone have any evidence of them being worn on RAF uniforms of any period?

Many thanks

Alan O 26-02-22 11:28 AM

I can't think of any occasion when you would need such things. Miniatures are for mess kit (black tie if in civvies) and always worn. Ribbons alone are just not required.

Padre 26-02-22 12:11 PM

Miniatures are also frequently worn on dinner jackets at some occasions. But I agree, no reason I can think of for miniature ribbons alone.

A dealers fantasy item?

Artynut 26-02-22 10:24 PM

As the ribbons alone are called your undress ribbons, for daily uniform attire, it surely would be ridiculous to manufacture miniature ribbon bars alone. As we are all aware, the miniature medals are for formal evening attire only. Yes, surely a fantasy item! D.J.

Pembird 26-02-22 10:43 PM

The navy certainly wore miniature ribbons as l have several sets and discussed this in an earlier thread, as to whether the RAF had occasion to wear them is a bit of a mystery.

dumdum 27-02-22 03:46 AM

Hi

I have seen and now got a couple of what I would term "miniature miniature" (i.e. smaller than the standard ribbon) ribbon bars.

They are usually pin backed and attached to a card that urges you to "Wear your ribbons" or some such blandishment to buy the item.

I think I have the usual trio, a pair and one with a pair and a GSM ribbon.

Most of them appear to have never been used so maybe not a commercial success.

Insignia 27-02-22 10:33 AM

Many thanks for all your replies, they help reassure me that miniature ribbon bars were not authorised for wear with RAF uniforms.

Padre 27-02-22 01:22 PM

Pre-war RAF dress regulations make mention of medals for mess dress - 'With mess dress and mess undress miniature badges of orders, decorations and medals will be worn....' They go on to state length of ribbon when worn, longer if worn with clasps etc. No mention at all of ribbons/ribbon bars alone being worn. This hasn't changed to the present.

Insignia 27-02-22 03:43 PM

I’m sad enough to have read just about every Air Ministry Order from 1918 to 1947 relating to uniforms, insignia, orders and decorations, and have never spotted anything relating to them being worn as a bar.

royston 01-03-22 01:51 PM

Agree with Pembird, there were occasions when RN wore just minature ribbons on a bar, so it is strange that this did not apply to the RAF.

Insignia 01-03-22 08:45 PM

Hello Pembird and Royston,

Most interesting, under what circumstances did RN personnel wear the miniature ribbons alone?

Many thanks for your response

royston 02-03-22 06:56 PM

Hi Insignia

On mess undress when minatures not ordered.

John

royston 02-03-22 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My minature ribbons. RN Ratings long service medal and BEM. 33years service, 1959-93, 18 years a rating to WO and then promoted to officer in 1977. I had a charmed life and just missed the action having just left a ship before it went to the Falklands and another as it went out to the first Gulf war.

Insignia 11-03-22 09:13 PM

Many thanks Royston, watch out they may be calling you up again soon.

Kind Regards