British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bullion wings for review. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86083)

Dominique 16-08-21 04:52 PM

Bullion wings for review.

2 Attachment(s)
Dear Forum,
According to what I have recently learned , the bottom wings should be regarded as early post war .
Thoughts welcome.
Thank you ,

dragon166 16-08-21 05:28 PM

I think both of these wings are post WWII. The lower one is definitely the 1947 pattern.
Dave

Dominique 17-08-21 07:28 AM

Thanks.

Input appreciated.
Thank you Dave.

Padre 17-08-21 09:54 PM

I'm afraid I don't like the top wing at all. The dark blue/black backing isn't consistent with either Full Dress or the 1947 Pattern uniform, the crown is wrong and not a proper 'Kings' crown, and I don't like the construction on the back. For me it is a reproduction.

The lower wing on blue/grey is a nice 1927 Pattern pilots wing.

Hope that helps!

Dominique 18-08-21 09:56 AM

Bullion wings.

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you for your comments which are much appreciated.
So the lower wing is an original. 1947 pattern...
As to the other set , it was found in West Cornwall some 20 years ago...
Couldn't it be an original Indian made piece?
Regards,
Dominique

Padre 18-08-21 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Without having it my hand I cant be 100% certain. Also, there were many makers in India who have all long since gone so hard to trace anything on.

But as mentioned, the black backing isn't consistent with RAF, and for me the triangular crown and rounded ends to the backing around the wing tips say reproduction. I would expect a 'correct' Kings crown, pointed tips to the wings and a blue/grey backing.

As they are full-sized they really only would be worn on full dress, and although there was a white 'tropical' full dress, for places like India, the dress regulations before WW2 specify the same as 'home' pattern (in gold on blue grey but with pin back for removal), and rules were far more rigid than in WW2. If Indian made for the tropical full dress (for officers in India) I cant really see any reason why they aren't on blue/grey. For me, I don't like the backing either.

On items like this, you can never say never, but for me they are a no. As for age, Ive collected over 40 years and badges like that were widely available 30 plus years ago at the markets and from dealers. Add 20 years ageing...

This is a pair of pre-WW2 Indian made Indian Air Force mess dress wings. Although not the same they have a better crown and pointed wings.

Dominique 18-08-21 03:44 PM

grateful.

Lesson taught & learned.
Thank you so much for taking the time of educating me.
Best regards ,
Dominique